differential fluid change - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 05 outback 2.5XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default differential fluid change

Hi All,

just had a front diff fluid change done at jiffy lube, at 100k, rear was already done at about 60k by previous owner, same fluids were used, 75/90 GL5 synthetic Euro.

However ever since, I've had a low hum at speed, doesn't make any noise at idle or any RPM when stationary.

And doesn't stop/change when I knock it into neutral on the freeway, I only noticed this after the diff change.

I know if I take it to a mechanic they won't hear it, my wife doesn't even notice it and she rides in the car all the time.

Anybody else have any ideas, similar issues ? It seems like a **** of a coincidence just after the diff was flushed.

Just to add, I've had the manual transmission flushed and replaces as well, and there was no noticable changes that I picked up after this job.

thanks.

Last edited by bluestack; 10-28-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: add manual trans flush
bluestack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Does the car have an automatic or manual transmission? Have to ask because of the mention of the manual transmission, but if it has a manual transmission, it does not have a separate "front differential". So it's not clear what work was done.

In any event, have you checked the oil level?
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Baldylocks

Car: Silver 06 2.5i
Send a message via Yahoo to mrk610

If manual as you say the front diff and gear box share the same fluid i would check the level. Thinking that if thet changed it only thinking it was the front diff then its low on gear oil.
mrk610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's exactly why I suscribe to this forum.

Its manual and I just called Subaru and they confirmed this.

So now I'm sat at Jiffy lube wondering what I paid for considering I already paid for a transmission flush 3 months ago. Nevermind what they did.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 05 Outback 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestack View Post
That's exactly why I suscribe to this forum.

Its manual and I just called Subaru and they confirmed this.

So now I'm sat at Jiffy lube wondering what I paid for considering I already paid for a transmission flush 3 months ago. Nevermind what they did.
How much did you pay for this "transmission flush"? I ask because I have never heard of anyone doing a flush on a manual. Only a drain and fill. Maybe Jiffy Lube just calls it a transmission flush.
OutdoorOBW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jiffy Lube and similar outlets use programmed fillers -- set it and it delivers the set amount. So if they were doing a front differential oil change on a Subaru, they would look it up, find Subaru/turbo/differential/front, (without paying attention to the difference between MT and AT because only the AT showed a front differential, and the owner, rather than one of the grease monkeys, rolled the car in) and program in 1.5 qts, or thereabouts.

What about what came out? Nobody knows, because it would have been dumped into a drum. So as mrk610 notes, there's a chance the transmission is about 50% low on gear oil.

With this as a possibility, a question might be: who supplied the 75/90 GL5 synthetic Euro gear oil? If bluestack did, then how much? If Jiffy Lube supplied the oil, then it's anybody's guess.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I drove it up to the bay, they drove it in. So they knew it was manual.

The explanation I was given was that the guy under the car did the transaxle service we'll call it - and didn't realise they already did it under the guise of manual trans flush.

I don't know what exactly they do for a trans flush, whether it is as suggested, just a drain and fill, which I'd imagine it is.

I took it in and they checked the levels, about 3 weeks ago and all was okay.
The manager also checked the level with the dipstick before doing anything and said it was correct.

However the asst manager re-did it - checked everything, fluid levels etc and they were all in spec. Also checked the magnetic plug at the bottom, but its not been driven long enough to show anything substantial from the original flush a month or so ago.

This service cost me $60, which obviously I had refunded. They provided the oils.

So, I guess I'm back to wondering what's causing this. The CV boots are all intact. I had an alignment and rotation done about 2 months ago. There was a misalignment causing uneven wear but this has been rectified.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

Possibly a wheel bearing? Maybe check for play in the front wheels. Humming could be a symptom.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have noticed a slight lack of crispness, or 'bump' when turning in - which could be a bearing.

I will check that out.

I also notice that at full lock to the right the tire rubs on the inner wall of the front wheel arch, against the plastic cover.

I will need to somehow fasten that back - there doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance in there at the front - is this normal ? The only place that this rubs is at full lock so it's not an issue of rubbing during normal driving that is causing the noise I was attributing to the differential - I don't think.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's possible that one or more of the plastic clips holding the fender liner in place has been lost. Should be apparent by comparing the left and right side for where there are clips.

There isn't all that much clearance between the tire and the car body to start with.

Quote:
The only place that this rubs is at full lock so it's not an issue of rubbing during normal driving that is causing the noise I was attributing to the differential - I don't think.
Perhaps not, but even when straight, the inside edge of the tire is very close to the strut -- a wider tire, or a wider tire on an non-Subaru wheel with different offset, might rub the strut even when straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: