Subaru Outback Forums banner

Finally killed it.

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Brucey 
#1 ·
Finally killed my battery it seems. I hadn't drove the car in nearly a week (some kind of record for me) and went to take a buddy to the airport. Dead battery.

"No Biggy" I thought, I'll just charge it up right quick and off we'll go.

Charged it up, and it immediately came to life.

Took him to the airport. Stopped at cabelas afterwards for around 2 hours and.. It started right up :29:

Got home, put gas in the car, went to start it and Ca-thunk. It had died in the 10 minutes it took to get gas. Well geez, fine.

I'll get a new battery today. I guess 11 years is enough for me. And with winter here, it's not like starting is going to be getting any easier. Oh well.

#2 ·
Dang...don't think I've ever had a battery last that long.

What are you replacing it with?

#3 ·
Was either going to go with a wal-mart battery or an interstate. Leaning towards the wal-mart because obviously there is always one nearby, but I hear lots of good things about the interstate. I just read the other thread, so it looks like they're all made by the same company anyway (Johnson)

#5 ·
I've been having good luck with DieHard Golds but my next one will be whatever the most power is for the lowest price. Probably a WalMart or Autozone Duralast.

#7 ·
My battery is also original, almost 10 years old. It wasn't doing so well last winter so I topped up the cells with distilled water and recently gave it a full charge with my Deltran battery tender. It's doing better than last year so hopefully I can squeeze out another winter with it.

Brucey, using your Scangauge what reading do you get for VLTs with the engine running? If the alternator is okay, I'd venture 14 V or so....

#9 ·
If you have Costco membership, the Kirkland batteries (also made by Johnson Controls) are even cheaper than Walmart & have a 3-year free replacement warranty. What I like about it is they don't do any test whatsoever when you bring them back...just refund you, no questions asked.

#10 ·
13.8 Volts, sometimes 14.1 volts.

I got an interstate battery, and they confirmed it was the factory battery with the car, kind of laughed when I said "I thought they were only supposed to be good for a few years" so it's not that uncommon to have one last this long.

With the new battery, it idles much smoother. So I'm sure it was killing the alternator too. But it seems to charge fine now. If the alternator goes I plan to upgrade to one of these:

HIGH OUTPUT 140 AMP SUBARU ALTERNATOR

But for now, at least, everything seems fine.

#16 ·
13.8 Volts, sometimes 14.1 volts.

I got an interstate battery, and they confirmed it was the factory battery with the car, kind of laughed when I said "I thought they were only supposed to be good for a few years" so it's not that uncommon to have one last this long.
. . . .But for now, at least, everything seems fine.
Brucey;

Those voltages might be a bit on the low side. Attached is from the 2000 FSM.

Attachments

#12 ·
It was really easy for me, I took it to Valley alternator and they completely rebuilt the unit for $80. My voltage regulator was going out, they tested it and said it was within the specs on the bench but they replaced it and the diodes, bearing and brushes just in case.

Valley alternators for Los Angelinos, great service.

PS, I thought it was a diode going bad due to the flickering lights so I tried to find the parts to rebuild it myself. I found a regulator but it was over $40 just for the part. At $80, it wasn't worth the time or effort to find the rest of the parts and do it myself.

#13 ·
Glad you got a good battery. The warranty doesn't mean squat when it's freezing and the suby is covered in snow while in a non start condition. No one compensates for aggravation or inconvenience.

I'd upgrade the alternator before it dies. Save your pennies and do it when it's convenient for you, instead of when you have to.

#17 ·
Hmm. Is that the system voltage or the voltage from the alternator? I'd imagine the alternator would be a few percent higher than the rest of the system, with charging loss etc. I guess I'll get out the multi-meter and check to see how it's doing.

#20 ·
Went to start the car, and the battery/brake light came on and the power steering went out. Oh ****, I tore a belt?

Nope. The bolt that adjusts the belt had snapped cleanly in half, and the alternator had fallen all the way down. Belt seems fine.

Maybe that alternator is going bad afterall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.