2005 Outback 3.0 Belt/Pulley Problem - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 Outback 3.0 Belt/Pulley Problem

Hi all,

My wife's Outback had a squeal coming from the passenger side under the hood that I noticed a day or so ago. On the way home this evening her Battery Light and Brake Light came on and the power steering went out. I figured that the Serpentine Belt just broke, since the car has about 170k on it.

Anyway when we get the car home, I popped the hood and noticed that the belt was in one piece but wasn't on the pulleys. After looking a bit closer I noticed a "pulley" looking thing at the bottom of the engine compartment. I see where it belongs and a pulley just like it still in good shape (turns fine, no squeals) and still attached on the Drivers Side near where this one went, but I'm not sure what it is, where to buy one and how it goes back on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the grainy pictures they are from my cell phone.

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Where Pulley Went.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	17831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Both Missing Pulley and Pulley Still There.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	17832   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(16).JPG
Views:	630
Size:	764.5 KB
ID:	17833  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Update: Just called the dealership, they said the part that is broken is the Accessory Belt Tensioner. They have one in stock, so I'll get it after work. Any ideas on how this mounts and what I have to take off to get it installed?

Thanks,
Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

31 views, a several page thread in the 3.0 forum and no one has replaced this part? Hmm, maybe I'll take pictures when I do it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 PM

Car: 05' Outback L.L.Bean Ed.
I installed one a few months ago. It's a simple 2 bolts installation. The only thing you need is either a deep socket or regular socket with a short extension. One of the two bolts hide pretty good below the alternator. It takes a little patience to install the bolt. Otherwise, it's a simple bolt on. Also, make sure the belt route properly. I would install a new belt as well for just in case.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 AM
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT
Yeah, take pictures and post them up.

Like others, I looked at the thread but ... I don't have a h-6 motor or a repair manual for one so couldn't help much. I assumed it was either a static idler pulley or a tensioner but didn't know which. I'm surprised the tensioner arm and pulley bolt both came out ... left the pulley in the pan but not the tensioner or the bolts.

I assume you dropped the underdoor down and looked for the other parts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Well,

It's done. I did both the tensioner (the pulley on the passenger side) and the idler pulley (the pulley on the drivers side. As vwtopdog said it was pretty simple. The bolts are well hidden and it took a good bit of patience, not to mention some cussing, but I had it done in about an hour total for both and putting the belt back on. Probably the hardest part was the routing of the belt. I don't have a service manual so I had to find a belt routing diagram online. Once I had that, I was all set. She's back up and running fine. I didn't get a chance to take pictures though, it was getting late and dark in the garage.

Thanks,
Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.
Glad you got it straightened out.

2003 Outback: "Kaylee". 143,000 and counting.
Basics: Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30, PureOne oil filter, Fram air filter, Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF, Mobil 1 75W90, Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Mods: Fumoto oil drain valve, Phillips VisionPlus low beams, HIR1 Phillips high beam upgrade, Nokya Hyper Yellow fog lights.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 PM

Car: 05' Outback L.L.Bean Ed.
I told you it was simple.

I hope you didn't throw away the old pulley. I popped the worn bearing out from the old pulley and pressed in with the new bearing. New bearing only cost about $7. Now it's ready to be use again.

You can pop the worn bearing out by placing a socket small enough that fit into the opening from the back of the pulley. Then place a small piece of hardwood in front of the pulley to protect the pulley surface. Put the whole set up in a vise. It will take a little muscle to squeeze the socket through and push the bearing out. Once it's out, just reverse the set up to press the new bearing back in. Cheap and easy.

I heard the bearing on those pulley typically last about 100,000 miles before it failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: