Subaru Outback Forums banner

Transmission?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ecoterragaia 
#1 ·
Picked up a CPO '14 Outback LTD one week ago. 40k miles. Did not notice this issue on test drive, naturally.

Have noticed that sometimes (not often, but sometimes) upon starting the engine cold, the RPMs rev up to 200 and just sit there... for a long time. Related to that, is when backing out of a parking space and shifting from R to D, the engine holds a sustained rev. Again, sometimes, not every time.

I've been driving it for only a week. I have a service appointment, but wanted to get the pulse on what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Same here. The ECU has a cold program where it runs higher rpm to bring the engine and trans to operating temperature.

You may also notice a lag between shifting, this is also the ECU not engaging the torque converter until the cvt did its thing (tighten the chain). In between engaging, the engine will go to the higher rpm at warm up.

#4 ·
@mjohnson, thanks for the info. Is there a way to tune the ECU to be more efficient and less laggy with its cold program?

#9 ·
Thanks for the further explanation! I'm coming out of the world of engine mods and APR tunes and "anything is possible". It's definitely a different feel to the drive and to the engine that will take some getting used to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.