5EAT Transmission Solenoid sticking - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Wagon L.L.Bean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 5EAT Transmission Solenoid sticking

Just wondering if anybody has had this problem with their 5 speed auto tranny.

Mine works just fine when cold, after a while if it shifts up in fourth gear and wants to downshift to the 3rd gear, it searches then ''sport'' starts flashing and all i got is 4th and reverse.

Drained the pan and changed the fluid in it, now i am thinking of moving to all Subaru fluid ATF see if it does help. I bought it used so i do not know what is in it right now.

By the way i have a 2005 Outback with the H6 and currently have 140,000miles on it.

Anybody else got that or manage to find some solenoids somewhere for the valve body. Or any other input.

Thanks
Filemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

You're going to need at least three drain and fills to get most of that fluid out. You might want to try something like Trans X or Trans Fix in the next drain and fill cycle, might clean it up a bit and unstick whatever is sticking. It's probably wishful thinking but, it's relatively cheap to try so you have little to lose and alot to gain if it actually does work.

Are you having any other issues or codes ?

Just a thought but, have you checked your electrical system for a weak battery or charging issue ? I only suggest that because I've had some strange problems in the past when a battery is about to take a dive or I lost a diode in the alternator. The ECU/sensors/solenoids all run on electricity so, I would check it out before I started tearing the trans apart.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'll check the charging circuit tonight. That's what i was thinking of doing next drain and refill... Might add the Lucas Trans fix.

As for other codes, all i have is the P0420 like everybody else does!!!!

Will keep you guys posted, i just need to finish swapping a diesel in a Series 100 Landcruiser before i can put my car on the lift! Then i'll let you know.

Thanks ETC.

Any other thoughts? Or am i the only one that has that issue?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

What fluid are you using now? The easy and cheap way to change all fluid is to disconnect the atf return line from the transmission and drain it from there into a clear jug that has measurements on it. Drain the pan and replace the 4 or so qts that come out. Then let the car idle while monitoring how much is coming out of the return line and replacing a qt whenever a qt comes out. Very thorough and not damaging like some flush machines that force fluid the wrong way through.

You can get a $15 vag-com cable off ebay and use freeSSM on a laptop connected to the OBD2 to see what the code is. If the sports light is flashing, there is a transmission code that most code readers will not see. Either that or take it to a dealership so they can connect it to SSM. There might be another way, but I don't know what it would be.

Are you sure it is a stuck solenoid?

I'd flush out all the fluid and start completely fresh with subaru atf-hp since you are having a problem...and find out exactly what the code is.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

The code is P0758 Shift Slenoid "B" electrical...

Only does it when hot... and the problem only happens when she tries to downshift from 4th to 3rd. Other than that she shifts beautifully...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well, hopefully it will become unstuck after a fluid flush. Dealerships will not repair a valve body. They will just replace it. The solenoid can be replaced if you are comfortable with a very complex job or you have a good transmission shop that you trust. You would have trouble sourcing the solenoid, but if you could find a dealer that sells borg warner parts, they make very good transmission internals...it's just getting your hands on the solenoid that is the problem. A trans shop would probably have an easier time finding it...but most transmission shops will only replace the whole valve body as well.

You are using atf-hp and not atf right?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had the car for about 6 months now. don't know what's in there. I will be getting the ATF-HP and try to flush it. As for getting to the body valve and changing the solenoid, i don't mind doing this since i am a licensed mechanic. I just can't seem to find them. That's the problem.

I'll try to flush it and put the ATF-HP in it.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe one of these places can point you in the right direction...I think these are just borg warner factory locations, but they may be able to point you to a dealer or sell directly to you since you are licensed. Good luck...

BorgWarner Corporate Site - Products/Transmission Systems/Friction Products

The Illinois one is a distributor.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean

The code is referencing an electrical problem, I highly doubt the solenoid is stuck. Most likely the solenoid housing is damaged and when it gets hot it it expands a bit and is either causing a short or open (open is most likely). That is why you are getting an electrical fault. Although flushing your trans is good, I don't think that is going to fix this problem.

If the solenoid was stuck you would get some sort of code saying incorrect gear ratio, Which basically means that the ECU commanded a shift to 5, but the input and output shaft speed sensor ratios are telling the ECU that its still in 4th.
Glennda5id is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Good catch! The solenoid B stuck code is P0756...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: