2005 Outback ashtray question - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005 Outback ashtray question

Hi, i wandered over here from saabcentral.com because someone there suggested this forum for my question (actually they suggested subaruforester.org and someone there sent me here...).

Anyway, a friend of mine through work just gave me basically a personal christmas bonus. I asked for an advance through work and he (the company clerk) gave the money to me himself rather than going through my boss. He told me not to pay him back - I'm extremely grateful!

Here's where my question comes in: He's got a 2005 Subaru Outback (wagon) who's ashtray is broken - the door doesn't stay shut. So i looked up the part to buy him another one, and there's the "Ashtray Housing" part and the "Ashtray Cover" part. I can't figure out which i should buy... He said that something got lost into the ashtray and while trying to pry it out he broke a clamp that holds the door shut. (this was at the bottom in a gap between the door and housing- i think) This sounds like it would be part of the housing but i'm not positive. Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

Just to clarify: The door swings open and shut just fine, the problem is that it no longers STAYS shut. Nothing clicks into place so it just falls back open.

Also, i found a couple of parts sites, but i would appreciate any advice on where to buy it from.

Thanks, Peter.
sankuspr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, 2003 OBW LTD, 1991 Toyota MR2 - suspension & braking enthusiast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankuspr View Post
Hi, i wandered over here from saabcentral.com because someone there suggested this forum for my question (actually they suggested subaruforester.org and someone there sent me here...).

Anyway, a friend of mine through work just gave me basically a personal christmas bonus. I asked for an advance through work and he (the company clerk) gave the money to me himself rather than going through my boss. He told me not to pay him back - I'm extremely grateful!

Here's where my question comes in: He's got a 2005 Subaru Outback (wagon) who's ashtray is broken - the door doesn't stay shut. So i looked up the part to buy him another one, and there's the "Ashtray Housing" part and the "Ashtray Cover" part. I can't figure out which i should buy... He said that something got lost into the ashtray and while trying to pry it out he broke a clamp that holds the door shut. (this was at the bottom in a gap between the door and housing- i think) This sounds like it would be part of the housing but i'm not positive. Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

Just to clarify: The door swings open and shut just fine, the problem is that it no longers STAYS shut. Nothing clicks into place so it just falls back open.

Also, i found a couple of parts sites, but i would appreciate any advice on where to buy it from.

Thanks, Peter.

You might have more luck on the www.legacygt.com forums. Should be the same parts on the 2005-2009 Legacy. If the two parts are cheap, buy both. Most likely you'll have to take apart the dash in the same fashion as you do for installing an aftermarket car stereo. And it sucks to take everything apart and find our you have the wrong replacement part.

Try getting the part numbers from http://opposedforces.com, then type them into SubaruGenuineParts.com || Where Genuine is Better! or "Subaru Parts" - "Subaru Accessories" below wholesale. for the best prices. For some reason, Seattle-area Subie dealers always have the best prices - crazy NorthWest hippies I guess

BTW folks who add turbo gauges and whatnot, relocate the OEM clock down to the ashtray position, so you may be able to find used ashtray parts very cheap on www.legacygt.com
phatvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: