Stalling at stop signs after replacing battery - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback xi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Stalling at stop signs after replacing battery

2005 Outback 4-cyl non-turbo with automatic trans has been stalling at certain stop signs. Drove fine for 168,000 miles.

But six weeks ago after I had the battery replaced, idle speed dropped to near zero. Then 5 miles later I gassed up, at which point the check-engine light came on. Drove 20 easy miles, but the fabled relearning did not take place.

Next day, mechanic fixed the idle problem and reset the check-engine light, but said the code indicated possible need to replace the throttle actuator, a $600 part. Instead he cleaned that part. And had me come back another day when he thoroughly cleaned entire throttle assembly, hoping we'd not need that expensive part.

The intermittent stalling at stop signs continues to get worse (usually on a slight uphill), but no check-engine light except for one day last week, which prompted me to go to a dealer asking for computer reset.
By then check-engine was no longer on. Dealer verified the stalling problem, said trans fluid was jet black, did trans flush and trans re-learn, said problem "probably" solved. Also said no active codes, but one "inactive code" indicating catalytic converter.

Stalled for me at stop light 200 yards later, and continues today intermittently but gradually more frequently. No further check-engine lights. And still fails to stall when regular mechanic test drives it, or when a transmission guy test drove it on Friday. He said he found no codes. And he said since it seems to be worse early in the day it might not be a transmission problem.

If I come to a stop very gently, sometimes that prevents it stalling.
If I pump the gas when it's starting to stall, sometimes I can prevent it stalling. Risky at a stop sign of course.
If I slip it into neutral when it's starting to stall, that prevents the stall but only until I slip it back into drive.
Every time it stalls, I retart the engine easily, and at that point
it's fine.

Driving me crazy.
eridout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
OB Not-So-Noob

Car: '08 OB 2.5i MT

I have similar idle issue after I replaced my battery. Hasn't stalled out yet but came close a few times. Hope you find a resolution ...
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 5spd Outback wagon

Sounds like you just need to do an idle relearn. Here's a thread with a similar issue:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...e-127541.html?
CSFiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
OB Not-So-Noob

Car: '08 OB 2.5i MT

Hmmm, thanks! Wonder how long this will take in a Chicago winter ...
Old 12-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

After the problem appeared, did you try disconnecting the battery again, waiting for a while, and then reconnecting?

I'm wondering if this could be a random ECM boot-up problem. When the ECM, which is basically a software-driven computer, totally loses power (including it's memory backup), it probably has to start up again when power is restored. A faulty start up (as I'm sure we've all experienced with our PCs) can lead to glitches such as is being experienced here.

The question is generated by my understanding that the Engine Control Module does not need to relearn idle; idle should be a fixed (non-volatile) parameter.

There are other parameters that are based on driving style, which are lost when power is removed. These are initially replaced by default settings and then are continuously being "relearned" over time.

Also, disconnecting the battery for replacement, recharging, storing the car, clearing trouble codes etc., is a very common occurance. If doing this were to normally result in the loss of idle function and a need to relearn, I would expect to have seen far more posts about this.

So perhaps this is just a glitch that might be corrected by a restart. (Incidentally, after the battery is reconnected, I'd give it some time for all the computers to reset fully. Then turn the key to ON but not start the engine -- this is when the OBD goes through self-checks, so I'd let it complete this process -- takes just a few seconds -- then I'd see what happens.)
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

HOw many miles.

This can be as simple as a tired O2 sensor.
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback xi

Our '05 Outback had 170,000 miles. Eventual diagnosis of the intermittent stalling-at-stop-signs problem was said by the dealer to be the need to replace the throttle assembly. But then, oh, by the way, both your head gaskets are leaking so badly you'll soon be misfiring. And that intermittent check-engine light means you better replace the catastrophic converter before your emission test next May. Proposed total: $5100. And that's without the $300 to take out the front passenger seat to replace the seat-belt sensor.

Prior problems we shouldn't have had: front axle replacement (three times). Tires destroyed (eight) due to rear alignment difficulties. And a few others I've forgotten. Oh yes, the O2 sensors -- first one, then the other.

So we found another solution, and are sadly no longer a Subaru household. We'll miss it. Thanks y'all for your help.
eridout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 07 OB 2.5i Basic 120,000+ Miles
Default Do not touch the throttle pedal at all

with the engine stone COLD

and make sure ALL ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS ARE TURNED OFF.....NO RADIO...NO BLOWER...NO LIGHTS....NO AC NO NOTHING IS ON

disconnect the battery.....leave it off for 10 minutes and pump the brake pedal a few times
reconnect the battery...make sure the terminals are CLEAN and tight

DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE PEDAL AT ALL

get in car

turn the key to the last position before the starter engages and WAIT 10 seconds

turn the key to start the car

leave the car to run until the radiator fans come on.......this may take 20-25 minutes

turn the engine OFF and take the key OUT of the ignition switch and wait at least 10 seconds

put the key back in the ignition and start the car and drive normally for a bit and see what happens
Subaroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2005 2.5 SOHC

Just wanted to chime in and say that I had this issue after a battery replacement this weekend. Even after multiple restarts, the idle still wasn't adequate, and the car stalled each time I turned without throttle input. I followed the directions above to "re-learn" the idle, and all is well now.

Thanks!
blz2dwl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback 2.5 manual (soon to be sold), 2007 Outback 2.5 Manual

+1 on the above procedure. I used it today after a garage reset my CEL, resulting in the car forgetting how to idle. It worked a treat. Thanks for posting, Subaroo.
garwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: