3 carseats???? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 3 carseats????

This is my 2nd Outback and replacing this car is not an option, at all.
Here is my problem. When I bought my '06 new, I had one child who was in a booster seat. DD2 came along 2 yrs ago, and it was tight, but we managed to get DD1's infant seat properly installed in the middle, (on the hump) for DD2. DD1's booster seat fit very snuggly on either side, and even now at nearly 8 yrs old, she still has a hard time getting herself buckled. DD2 is still rear-facing in a convertible car seat, she is small & also I'd prefer to leave her rear-facing as long as possible.
DD3 is due 3-1-11. Infant seat that we got new with DD1 is past the 7 yr mark to use. I'm having a hard time finding an infant seat that will fit in the middle- much more room there to install an infant seat, plus it's the safest place to put an infant. They're all too 'long' now and they touch the driver & passenger seat, unless I slide them really far forward- too far forward for anyone with legs to ride up front.
Also due to it being an older seat, DD2 is about to outgrow her convertible seat in height & weight, so it must be replaced.
I've read reviews on several compact convertible seats- the Combi Coccoro & the Sunshine Kids Radian were the ones that I liked. Size wise they're perfect to fit into the backseat, except that all the negative reviews I've been reading about these seats are from Subaru drivers!
DD3 does not have to be an infant seat- a convertible seat in the middle is fine. DD2 has to be able to ride rear-facing still behind the passenger seat. DD1 has to be in a booster seat for another 30 lbs & 7" in height but her seat is fine to not be replaced- it is already a narrow, newer one.
I need a convertible seat for DD2 & 3. They can be in the same seat or different. But I need a convertible seat that is narrow (built for compact cars) but also 'short' enough that I can install them both rear-facing. I can buy one, and see how it fits, then determine if I should get another one.
All of the ones that I've read about I will have to order b/c I cannot find any of them in stores where I live. And not only will returning them be a pain, but 99% of the return policies say 'un-used', 'un-opened' etc. Not b/c they didn't fit my car.
All of my mommy friends have said 'Get a van' (not an option) or 'they were able to make 3 fit' (yes, in cars that have FLAT backseats...)
Subaru owners- please help me! What car seat models have you been able to install both rear-facing, one in the middle, one on the side and still had room for a booster on the other side? I see alot of Outbacks on the road. Surely someone somewhere has answered this question already.
(I did call Subaru Customer service, and they were NO help).
freestargirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestargirl View Post
This is my 2nd Outback and replacing this car is not an option, at all.
Here is my problem. When I bought my '06 new, I had one child who was in a booster seat. DD2 came along 2 yrs ago, and it was tight, but we managed to get DD1's infant seat properly installed in the middle, (on the hump) for DD2. DD1's booster seat fit very snuggly on either side, and even now at nearly 8 yrs old, she still has a hard time getting herself buckled. DD2 is still rear-facing in a convertible car seat, she is small & also I'd prefer to leave her rear-facing as long as possible.
DD3 is due 3-1-11. Infant seat that we got new with DD1 is past the 7 yr mark to use. I'm having a hard time finding an infant seat that will fit in the middle- much more room there to install an infant seat, plus it's the safest place to put an infant. They're all too 'long' now and they touch the driver & passenger seat, unless I slide them really far forward- too far forward for anyone with legs to ride up front.
Also due to it being an older seat, DD2 is about to outgrow her convertible seat in height & weight, so it must be replaced.
I've read reviews on several compact convertible seats- the Combi Coccoro & the Sunshine Kids Radian were the ones that I liked. Size wise they're perfect to fit into the backseat, except that all the negative reviews I've been reading about these seats are from Subaru drivers!
DD3 does not have to be an infant seat- a convertible seat in the middle is fine. DD2 has to be able to ride rear-facing still behind the passenger seat. DD1 has to be in a booster seat for another 30 lbs & 7" in height but her seat is fine to not be replaced- it is already a narrow, newer one.
I need a convertible seat for DD2 & 3. They can be in the same seat or different. But I need a convertible seat that is narrow (built for compact cars) but also 'short' enough that I can install them both rear-facing. I can buy one, and see how it fits, then determine if I should get another one.
All of the ones that I've read about I will have to order b/c I cannot find any of them in stores where I live. And not only will returning them be a pain, but 99% of the return policies say 'un-used', 'un-opened' etc. Not b/c they didn't fit my car.
All of my mommy friends have said 'Get a van' (not an option) or 'they were able to make 3 fit' (yes, in cars that have FLAT backseats...)
Subaru owners- please help me! What car seat models have you been able to install both rear-facing, one in the middle, one on the side and still had room for a booster on the other side? I see alot of Outbacks on the road. Surely someone somewhere has answered this question already.
(I did call Subaru Customer service, and they were NO help).

The only subaru product that would slightly work is the Tribeca but that would be very temporary given the back seat is a penalty box for any one that has legs. The new Tribeca will either be on equal ground as the current Highlander or simply get canceled all together.

Sadly the only machines that are not MiniVan's would be the landcruiser with 3seats which the 100series is more GM truck than true landcruiser. The 90's Landcruisers which I have would work just fine but get about 14mpg with a tail wind at best, but will run till there is no longer oil to produce gas.

The best option for value and price would be the Toyota Sequoia it has the same running gear in it as the 100 series Landcruiser but at a fraction of the cost and the 3rd row is quite decent.

The near identical foot print to the new 2010 OB is the Mazda 5 which would work for you. But its not AWD.

New I would put the Highlander at #1 and used I would put the Sequoia #1

Ultra cheap pick up a used Suburban and just beat on it till it dies.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Legacy Outback

Could you put DD1 in the middle? It might not be as easy for her to climb in, but it may balance out the two rear facing seats. You could tip a seat forward or have her slide under DD2 or DD3 seat. I have three kids as well, but I have (finally) reached the point where my 9yr old is big enough to not need a booster so her skinny little rear fits in the middle much better. (Now we are talking about #4 which I know I can not fit in my beloved '99)
brianjglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2008 OB XT Limited; 2002 Impreza 2.5TS

There's no easy fix here. Two car seats in the back is easy. Three is just about impossible.

Honestly, if it were me, and trading the '06 really isn't an option, then I'd look into disconnecting the front passenger airbag and putting DD1 there...

Bimmer
Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 1997 Legacy GT Wagon (2.5 Auto) (aka The Warrior Wagon)
Send a message via AIM to WeatherWarriorMedia Send a message via Yahoo to WeatherWarriorMedia

And here we see why safety seat laws are more trouble than worth. You could easily "make due" I'm sure if all this 'back in the day' when kids did just fine without seats at all. Sure, not saying the safety is diminished, but life is what you have to live with in the decisions made. You might need to look more into what you can legally get away with more than what seats will fit.

Might thrown in some pictures too, certainly would help a bit.

I don't know if you could do a custom install, something as wild as yanking the back seat altogether, and having some sort of heavy metal bracket system put in.

BTW...I take it that the NOT AN OPTION of trading the car is due to a negative (upside down I think they call it) loan on the car. Not sure what you economic disposition is...but if you have to shed the car, sell some other stuff and buy (even if a heavily used) vehicle that will work. I know this economy means you can't assume anything, but I'd suspect that someone that purchased a 2006 Subie has assets they can use to rectify the problem (if it truly is not solvable after asking here..which was a good idea). I know I'm getting preachy there...sorry.

You might (if you haven't already) also pose the question over at legacygt.com. I lot more users there.
WeatherWarriorMedia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2008 OB XT Limited; 2002 Impreza 2.5TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarriorMedia View Post
And here we see why safety seat laws are more trouble than worth. You could easily "make due" I'm sure if all this 'back in the day' when kids did just fine without seats at all. Sure, not saying the safety is diminished, but life is what you have to live with in the decisions made. You might need to look more into what you can legally get away with more than what seats will fit.
If I understand this correctly, then this is wrong-headed, IMHO.

One of the leading causes of death and injury to little kids is still car wrecks, so you'd have to be a pretty poor parent (in both senses of poor) not to put your kids in the best seats money can buy (I'm a fan of Britax).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWarriorMedia View Post
I don't know if you could do a custom install, something as wild as yanking the back seat altogether, and having some sort of heavy metal bracket system put in.
I don't see how this would help, since the limiting factor is the narrow back seat... I would be nice to yank the back seat just so the kids weren't pressed up against the backs of the front seat, though.
Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 1997 Legacy GT Wagon (2.5 Auto) (aka The Warrior Wagon)
Send a message via AIM to WeatherWarriorMedia Send a message via Yahoo to WeatherWarriorMedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
If I understand this correctly, then this is wrong-headed, IMHO.

One of the leading causes of death and injury to little kids is still car wrecks, so you'd have to be a pretty poor parent (in both senses of poor) not to put your kids in the best seats money can buy (I'm a fan of Britax).
Nah, agreed safety is first, but if you can't do something, you have just do it the best you can. You can only be as safe as what you're wallet will allow. It's just a matter of the threshold. What if some rich person (let's say Heidi Klum since she's already proven she doesn't get it) and says Britax isn't safe enough and brandX is the minimum you have to buy...but it cost $10,000. Most folks can't afford that. You have to accept that some are going to die, kids included...THAT'S a reality. ****, your kid has a pretty good chance of dying tomorrow (if you go by the statistics), that's life. I'm sure you know that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
I don't see how this would help, since the limiting factor is the narrow back seat... I would be nice to yank the back seat just so the kids weren't pressed up against the backs of the front seat, though.
If you are all familiar with first McLaren super car that has the three seat configuration...that was what I was thinking. Let the space between the seats work in the favor. Custom fabrication can do so much...but it too has a cost. Just tossing ideas around. This person certainly needs some 'outside the box' solutions.
WeatherWarriorMedia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default 3 FF in an Outback?

Hi, Freestargirl, I have successfully installed 3 car seats in the back of my 05 Subaru Outback. 2 FF RadianXT's on the outboard positions and 1 RF Britax Companian Infant seat with base in the center. All three are installed with seatbelts, not LATCH. Hope this helps.

My challenge is now how to 'graduate' my infant (6mos) who will be outgrowing his infant seat to a RF convertible and ultimately to 3 FF seats across...I have not yet found a RF convertible that will work (though I am hoping the new 30lb Britax Chaperone infant would work and bridge the gap until my youngest can be FF). I have been unable to get three FF Radians across and would be curious to hear any successful installations of 3 FF seats in the 05-09 Outbacks...of anymodels. btw. My eldest is not yet 4 so we'll need seats for a while. And ideally we'd like to stick with the Outback and not spring for a new car. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
05OutbackSF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited & 2002 Impreza WRX

I don't have kids but did run across an article where they wanted to put 3 child seats into a Nissan LEAF: http://busymommymedia.com/2010/12/pu...f-to-the-test/

Looks likes they used three Radian XTSL car seats with LATCH. Not sure if that's feasible with our wagons but you would think so given the size of the LEAF.
BlueCamel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just pull a Mitt Romney and put one of the DDs on the roof!
suboobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: