2005 door switch replacement? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, 2003 OBW LTD, 1991 Toyota MR2 - suspension & braking enthusiast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005 door switch replacement?

Hello,

I have a 2005 Outback 2.5i and the drivers-door switch broke. This is the switch which is actually fastened inside a little hole in the main chassis (not on the door itself) and the door pushes it in when closed. It has a black flexible rubber sheath which wraps around a plastic casing which clips to the switch.

In my case, it is the outer plastic part which holds the rubber sheath which broke. The switch itself works fine, but it just wont stay located in the hole properly. I jury-rigged it with some duct tape for now, but I don't know how long it will hold.

I think it is item #9 in this diagram, but the part number is not listed.

Anybody know the actual part number?
phatvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual

Looks Like P/N: 83331AG02A, try this link...

Description: PLUNGER SWITCH FRONT body FOR INTERIOR LAMPS FOR 2005-2009 LEGACY OUTBACK ALL there are two of these on the car located between front and rear doors left and right side SOLD individually
Part No.: 83331AG02A
Fits Model: Outback
Year(s): 2005-2009
Price: $29

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

Save The Manuals!
'05 Outback 2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, 2003 OBW LTD, 1991 Toyota MR2 - suspension & braking enthusiast

Thanks thats the one!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just had this happen! Or something very similar, the driver's door wouldn't open, even with a key. I took it in and was told this was the first time they'd ever seen this. It looked fine but I couldn't flip the lock. It took 2 hours and removing the door to repair it. Mine is a 2005 Outback also.
PB Cook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB Cook View Post
I just had this happen! Or something very similar, the driver's door wouldn't open, even with a key. I took it in and was told this was the first time they'd ever seen this. It looked fine but I couldn't flip the lock. It took 2 hours and removing the door to repair it. Mine is a 2005 Outback also.
Yours is something else - most likely a problem with the lock mechanism inside the door.

My problem was just with the little switch mounted on the chassis. With the busted switch, the car alarm didn't arm because it thought the door was still open, and the headliner/dome light wouldn't go off in the "auto" position for the same reason.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2005 2.5i 4eat

I had to do this also,

now I remember to make sure the seatbelt retracts in cold weather. closing the door on the seatbelt is what broke mine.
bagodonuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback Limited 2.5i

what did it take to fix your door? Sounds like mine is doing the same thing...unless you manually push the door lock knob on the inside of the door, it doesn't entirely lock.
mountainroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainroo View Post
what did it take to fix your door? Sounds like mine is doing the same thing...unless you manually push the door lock knob on the inside of the door, it doesn't entirely lock.
All it took for me was duct tape.
Has held up great for the last few weeks. No complaints from the wife.

If that doesn't work, fish the old switch out of the hole and carefully disconnect the wiring harness - you don't want to loose the harness down inside the sheet metal! Then connect it to the new switch you bought at your local Subaru dealer and pop it in the hole and you're all set. Should take all of 5 minutes.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well the duct tape trick held for a few months, but now the rubber gasket thingy is nowhere to be seen and another bit of plastic broke off. I just ordered a replacement switch at my local Subaru dealer.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2006 OBXT L

Returned from a trip to find my drivers door switch carrier was broken... Battery was close to dead and the seatbelt silence mod was deactivated.

Upon further investigation someone did jam the seat belt into the door, the sticker on the jam was torn.

Carrier was snapped but all parts still in place. For now I used some Krazy glue to attach the carrier to the switch. It's holding. Initially tried to just clue the carrier back together but it didn't have enough cure time or not enough surface area to hold.

Disappointing that the tolerance is so slight to activate the switch. The passenger door was jacked by a friend slamming the seatbelt in the door not once but twice. The location of switch contact on the door was bent so a few mm of tape to raise this up is enough contact to press the switch. Later I'll have a body shop fix this but no time right now.

Lesson learned just park the seat belt correctly before closing the door.
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: