2005-2009 Ghostwalking/abnormal winter handling fixes - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, 2003 OBW LTD, 1991 Toyota MR2 - suspension & braking enthusiast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005-2009 Outback Ghostwalking/abnormal winter handling fixes

Potential solutions for 2005-2009 USA Outback ghostwalking

This thread is only intended to discuss potential solutions to the “ghostwalking” or abnormal handling symptoms described in the “dangerous on ice” thread. These symptoms are believed to be caused by a chassis and/or drivetrain issue. Topics to avoid in this thread are tire choice, tire tread depth, and driver error. While tires and driver error can certainly exacerbate shortcomings in any chassis, that line of discussion is not the goal here.

Reference links
To report a safety issue to the National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Summary of the ghostwalking symptoms:
In winter driving conditions and especially on ice, some USA 2005-2009 Outbacks appear to have a chassis tuning issue where the rear suspension oscillates in such a way to cause rear-steer. This is not fishtailing due to using too much gas, lifting off the gas mid-corner, or hitting the brakes too abruptly. This can occur during straight line driving at moderate speeds. Road feel and handling confidence is totally lost when this occurs. The symptoms are not 100% reproducible and Subaru has not acknowledged that there is any problem. Subaru did revise the rear wheel alignment specifications for these cars in 2007 due to rear tire wear complaints. The change to alignment spec tightens the tolerance for rear toe.

Ghostwalking does not seem to affect European/Austrailian/Japanense spec Outbacks, nor does it affect the Legacy cars. The USA Outback is raised an additional inch compared to Outbacks sold in other regions and does not include a load-dependent self-leveling system. It is plausible that the added height and lack of self-leveling feature compromises the suspension geometry and driving dynamics. More study is required.

Because ghostwalking is not 100% reproducible, it is difficult to pinpoint a fix. Through experimentation, several board members have come up with solutions:

Recommend skipping straight to solution #2
Solution #1: 4-wheel alignment with updated OEM specs per Technical Service Bulletin: “05-36-07 JAN 07 Tires/Alignment - Tire Pressure/Rear Wheel Toe-In Specs”. The updated Subaru specs have a tighter specification for rear toe angle. Your car may already be aligned to this spec.
  • Cost $50-$100

Solution #2: 4-wheel alignment with updated OEM specs and 100-300 pounds of cargo in the rear. By adding cargo weight during the alignment process, you simulate “real-world” conditions and the tires should point straighter when the car is loaded down. This is a technique that racing teams use - they align the car with the driver in the seat because the driver’s weight can influence all aspects of handling and tuning.
  • Cost $50-$100

Solution #3: Replace worn rear dampers. The 2005-2009 chassis dampers (struts/shocks) are notorious for premature wear. The rear end is the worst with a floatly/bouncy feeling after only a few years of use. The fix is to replace the rear shocks with a more robust aftermarket brand like KYB Excel-G/GR-2. Using the 2003-2004 chassis rear KYB shocks is a popular option because they stiffen the rear end considerably and are 100% compatible with the 2005-2009 cars. See the main suspension FAQ thread for more info.
  • Cost $100-125 in parts for rear dampers and 1-2 hours labor
  • Required: Add cost of an alignment $50-$100
  • Optional: Add cost of front dampers $125 and additional 1-2 hours labor
  • www.ajusa.com
  • www.justsuspension.com

Solution #4: Increase rear spring rate with Rallitek Overload springs. By increasing the rear spring stiffness, the rear suspension geometry, specifically the toe-angle, will change less when going over bumps and cornering. This should help reduce any rear-steer effects. By changing the springs, the overall handling balance of the car will change towards oversteer. Since the Outback chassis is tuned with understeer from the factory, this will actually lead to a more neutral-handling car. But in emergency stopping situations, it may be less safe for under-skilled drivers.
  • Cost $150 in parts and 1.5-2 hours labor
  • Required: Add cost of an alignment $50-$100
  • RallITEK.com

Solution #5: Whiteline rear camber adjusting bushings/eccentric bolts. The Outback chassis with the multi-link rear suspension only comes with one rear-toe adjustment on the in-board rear-most lateral link. A problem with this design is that every time you change toe, you also change the camber. So while the toe-angle may be within spec, it is easy to have a camber angle that is mismatched side-to-side or too far away from 0. Because the multi-link suspension is designed to gain negative camber during compression (outside tire gains camber during cornering), you don't need a lot of static negative camber to get good handling. In fact, a lot of static negative camber can compromise braking and stablity when travelling straight with this type of suspension design. So, the Whiteline KCA399 kit adds an adjuster-bolt and matching polyurethane bushing to the outboard upper-middle lateral link to allow the camber to be tuned in addition to toe. The Whiteline kit replaces an OEM rubber bushing which may deteriorate with age. In extreme cold, it is possible that the OEM bushings contract or change stiffness enough to alter handling. In many industrial applications, polyurethane performs better than rubber in lower temperatures so it is plausible that a poly bushing might hold the alignment better.
phatvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT

Thanks for the excellent write up Phat, I think your solutions are all reasonable and have a history of success by the members of sob.org and legacygt.com.

On a personal note, I'm now looking into making some hardware changes to improve the somewhat dangerous under-dampened rear suspension. It will be interesting to see if the changes have any improvement on the rear end wiggle we all know and love. Sarcasm aside, great job!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

This thread has been pinned.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

Great write up!
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Legacy Outback 2.5i 5MT, 2005 Legacy GT Ltd AT sedan, 2005 Legacy GT Ltd AT wagon, 2001 Legacy GT Ltd AT sedan, 2000 Legacy GT AT sedan

Thanks phatvw for the good work.

Maybe someday Subaru will give an explanation as to why they put such a vehicle on the road when: + 400 lbs + ice = !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2008 OB XT Limited; 2002 Impreza 2.5TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatvw View Post
Solution #1: 4-wheel alignment with updated OEM specs per Technical Service Bulletin: “05-36-07 JAN 07 Tires/Alignment - Tire Pressure/Rear Wheel Toe-In Specs”. The updated Subaru specs have a tighter specification for rear toe angle. Your car may already be aligned to this spec.
  • Cost $50-$100

Solution #2: 4-wheel alignment with updated OEM specs and 100-300 pounds of cargo in the rear. By adding cargo weight during the alignment process, you simulate “real-world” conditions and the tires should point straighter when the car is loaded down. This is a technique that racing teams use - they align the car with the driver in the car because the driver’s weight can influence all aspects of handling and tuning.
  • Cost $50-$100
It seems implicit here already, but just in case it's not 100% clear, anybody having an alignment done should skip #1 and go straight to #2.

My sample of one:
I just had a couple alignments done within a couple months, after having some suspension work done.
Without changing anything else in the rear except adding 200lbs. ballast, my rear toe went from well within spec to way out of spec.
This seems to be the nature of the Outback's suspension geometry: more weight means more (positive) toe.

YMMV,

Bimmer
Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Legacy Outback 2.5i 5MT, 2005 Legacy GT Ltd AT sedan, 2005 Legacy GT Ltd AT wagon, 2001 Legacy GT Ltd AT sedan, 2000 Legacy GT AT sedan

One other thought, as pvalchev mentioned,

phatvw:
Might it be good to include a link in your lead post to the NHTSA for anyone wishing to file a complaint?

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Cheers.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok just spent 2-3 hours reading

Just to clear something up

I am looking to help prevent a accident in the 06 by replacing things NOW before there is a major issue.

I am looking to replace the REAR struts with 00-04 ones and REPLACE the rear springs with the rallitak ones.

then get a allightment done with some weight in it.

By doing BOTH the struts and springs will it be to much ?? im not a big fan of having a "soft" ride but dont want it to feel like a tank either
Old 01-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i, 2003 OBW LTD, 1991 Toyota MR2 - suspension & braking enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr overkill View Post
ok just spent 2-3 hours reading

Just to clear something up

I am looking to help prevent a accident in the 06 by replacing things NOW before there is a major issue.

I am looking to replace the REAR struts with 00-04 ones and REPLACE the rear springs with the rallitak ones.

then get a allightment done with some weight in it.

By doing BOTH the struts and springs will it be to much ?? im not a big fan of having a "soft" ride but dont want it to feel like a tank either

Not too much. The 04 KYB dampers with Rallitek springs + modified alignment would be a GREAT combination. Your car will probably ride more comfortably and be easier to drive overall compared to the worn out OEM dampers.

I ended up doing 05 KYB + Rallitek + modified alignment with 150 pounds of cargo. Rides great! I would have done the 04 KYBs had I known they were better at the time I ordered the parts.
phatvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Mr overkill wrote:
In addition to phatvw's excellent reply above, please also see DAFTEK's post #1279 in the previous, now closed, thread.

Cheers.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: