Effects to transmission of inappropriate towing - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2006 OBW LL Bean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Effects to transmission of inappropriate towing

My 06 Outback(60K) got towed today. It was hitched from the rear and towed about 4 miles.

Another time I will vent about how it got to this stage.

My concern is that what kind of damage would have been done to the transmission and drive-train?

After I got it out of the impound yard I noticed that the gears sound a slight thud when shifting in full auto(D), not sure if it is just me being too peculiar about the sounds coming from the car or could actual damage have been done.

I want to weigh my options, transmission damage, transmission inspection if possible to evaluate a legal action against the party responsible.

Thanks.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '00 Outback H6, '08 BMW 335i

That sucks, yes Subaru's obviously aren't supposed to be towed like that (they should know that). The damage I take it is to the center diff being worn excessively due to the friction of the clutches (well I think that's what'd be).

But for a 4 mile trip it's still far enough to cause sufficient damage so get it checked and see how it turns out. Hows the trans oil look?

SUBARU Lancaster6 2000 (327,000km)
3.0L H6 EZ30D | 4-SPEED Auto | VDC | Beige Suede | McINTOSH Audio w/ Sub | HID Headlamps | Tinted | AUX

---- SOLD ----

SUBARU Legacy Spec.B 3.0R 2008
SUBARU
Lancaster6 2001
SUBARU Impreza 1.6 Manual 1993
SUBARU
Legacy B4 1999
matty231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2006 OBW LL Bean

I have to check the oil and do a visual inspection today. I will drive it some more to see what the transmission feels like. Arrggghhh!! I am so angry with these towing goons.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 3.6R Ltd

If there is damage, don't let the tow company get off the (tow) hook. They should know better about AWD vehicles.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '00 Outback H6, '08 BMW 335i

Lol i'd be angry too! Thankfully I don't believe any of my subi's have been towed but ya never know. I think if the center diff has been damaged you will feel torque bind ( I think not sure) and you check by doing mild sharp turns at low speed (in a figure 8) and if the car slows when you turn it indicates a problem. You should let the car coast around the figure 8 and it should stay at a constant pace.

SUBARU Lancaster6 2000 (327,000km)
3.0L H6 EZ30D | 4-SPEED Auto | VDC | Beige Suede | McINTOSH Audio w/ Sub | HID Headlamps | Tinted | AUX

---- SOLD ----

SUBARU Legacy Spec.B 3.0R 2008
SUBARU
Lancaster6 2001
SUBARU Impreza 1.6 Manual 1993
SUBARU
Legacy B4 1999
matty231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

We'll I've heard of Subaru's being totally trashed by being towed with two wheels on the ground but never had seen it before. I did see about two years ago a wrecker hauling three cars and towing a AWD Mitsubishi EVO - he was a long way ahead of me when heavy smoke started poring out of the car by the time I got to the wrecker he was pulled over and trying to dump the Evo on the shoulder while it burned. Seems the center clutch didn't like being towed with two wheels on the ground. Not sure if he got it unhooked before the whole rig went up in flames or not.

But if my subaru were ever towed with two wheels on the ground even for a very short distance the person towing it would be buying me a new center diff and transmission no iffs and or butts about it. Your car just had its life shortened by a large margin with that move. My advice get a lawyer and get a new center diff or sell the CAR ASAP while the AWD still works.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Legacy OBW 2.5

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs...ission/tow.pdf
01caobw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: