Subaru Outback Forums banner

Rear strut bolt stuck.

10K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  contrail_25 
#1 ·
I read through some old threads on here covering this subject, so here I go....

I'm doing my suspension and while I was able to do the driver's side rear strut with no issues, I cannot get the passenger one off. This includes PB blaster (sitting overnight), heating, impact wrench (loosening and tightening to try and work it free), and a 7 foot breaker bar/pipe setup run by myself and another 200+lb man. All we achieved was getting the thing to spin as one. You win bolt!!! At the point now where I am just gonna cut the sonabitch off.

But till then, I cannot for the life of me find the replacement bolt/nut online. It has eluded my google-fu and parts sites searching. I need help here folks.

Picture has what I'm talking about.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
contrail_25,

If you're near a dealership, get an exact replacement.

If not, the bolt and nut can be easily replaced with anything the same size and length, but be sure to use a locking nut or castle nut and key to prevent its coming off. I would also recommend that you get the bolt from a specialty fastener supplier, such as Fastenal, and get as heavy a grade as the original, not sure that Grade 8 would be necessary but it won't break ever if you do.

#3 ·
Either an hour and a half drive for a joint dealership or a full three hour drive for a full up Subaru dealership. There are tons of heavy farm equipment places around here, I'm sure I can find a mid grade hex bolt/nut. Will update as my adventure progresses...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.