Front Windshield Washers do not spray. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Front Windshield Washers do not spray.

The front windshield washers do not spray.
The rear window washer is O.K..

If I disconnect the wiring harness to the front window washer pump,
and apply 12V, the pump works fine.

I checked/cleaned the connectors at the pump.

There does not appear to be 12v at the pump when
pulling back on the window wiper stalk.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Front Windshield Washers do not spray.-subaru-front-window-washers.jpg  
Annie's LLB Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Some wiper/washer switches are "pull back for washer" and others have a button on the end of the stalk. I just want to first confirm that your's is the pull back type and not the one with the button, right?

Are the contacts on the motor, and in the harness connector that attaches to the motor, clean? Corrosion/dirt can prevent a good contact when the connector is attached to the motor.

Do the wipers work? If the wiring diagram is the one for your car, then if the wipers work, the fuse is good. And, if the fuse is good, then there should be 12 V at pin 2 (YB) of the washer motor harness connector (measured between pin 2 and a good ground) when the ignition switch is at On. This is the next thing to check.

Pin 1 of the harness connector at the washer motor is connected terminal E at the washer switch. When the switch is pulled back, it connects the E and EW terminals. Although it's off the bottom of the diagram as posted, I believe the EW terminal is connected to a ground. So, with the washer motor connector removed from the motor, measure the resistance (Ohms) between pin 1 (LgR) of the harness connector and ground. (To be safe, first make sure the ignition switch is turned Off.) The resistance should be fairly high with the switch in the normal, off, position, but drop down close to zero (perhaps a few Ohms) when the switch is pulled back.

If the resistance remains high when the switch is pulled back, then the switch could be bad (dirty contacts is possible) or there's a problem in the wiring from the washer motor to the switch, or from the switch to ground.

If the resistance does drop to zero with the switch pulled back, the motor could still be at fault. It might work when 12 V is applied directly to it's terminals, but when connected via the connector, the voltage could be somewhat lower and the motor, due to age, might not be able to start up.

Does your washer reservoir also have a rear washer pump? Is the connector the same? Does the rear washer motor work? If so, you could put the front washer connector on the rear washer motor, and pull the front washer lever back. This is another way to see if the power and connections through the front washer switch are good -- if they are, the rear washer motor will run.

Do the tests, see what happens, and let us know.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback LTD

plain OM,
Wow! I'm impressed! You have about as complete a response as could be given to solve the problem. Nicely done!
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
Some wiper/washer switches are "pull back for washer" and others have a button on the end of the stalk. I just want to first confirm that your's is the pull back type and not the one with the button, right?

Are the contacts on the motor, and in the harness connector that attaches to the motor, clean? Corrosion/dirt can prevent a good contact when the connector is attached to the motor.

Do the wipers work? If the wiring diagram is the one for your car, then if the wipers work, the fuse is good. And, if the fuse is good, then there should be 12 V at pin 2 (YB) of the washer motor harness connector (measured between pin 2 and a good ground) when the ignition switch is at On. This is the next thing to check.

Pin 1 of the harness connector at the washer motor is connected terminal E at the washer switch. When the switch is pulled back, it connects the E and EW terminals. Although it's off the bottom of the diagram as posted, I believe the EW terminal is connected to a ground. So, with the washer motor connector removed from the motor, measure the resistance (Ohms) between pin 1 (LgR) of the harness connector and ground. (To be safe, first make sure the ignition switch is turned Off.) The resistance should be fairly high with the switch in the normal, off, position, but drop down close to zero (perhaps a few Ohms) when the switch is pulled back.

If the resistance remains high when the switch is pulled back, then the switch could be bad (dirty contacts is possible) or there's a problem in the wiring from the washer motor to the switch, or from the switch to ground.

If the resistance does drop to zero with the switch pulled back, the motor could still be at fault. It might work when 12 V is applied directly to it's terminals, but when connected via the connector, the voltage could be somewhat lower and the motor, due to age, might not be able to start up.

Does your washer reservoir also have a rear washer pump? Is the connector the same? Does the rear washer motor work? If so, you could put the front washer connector on the rear washer motor, and pull the front washer lever back. This is another way to see if the power and connections through the front washer switch are good -- if they are, the rear washer motor will run.

Do the tests, see what happens, and let us know.
plain OM,

Thanks for your support on this issue.

I replaced the factory connector with some crimp-on female spade connectors and all is well.

Thanks,

Gerry
Annie's LLB Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Yup, corrosion/dirt at the connector.

Glad you found it.

Thanks for the follow up. Others might benefit.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Legacy Outback Classic 4 Cylinder

...back from the depths.

I will be digging into this today. Thus far all fuses are good, front wipers work fine and rear motor/wipers work fine.

Continuing the saga of my OB being as different as possible, my wiper lever can be pulled to the rear to activate the pump AND also has the button on the end of the lever. I thought I read where some cars are made with either/or. Pulling the lever also activates the wipers but using the button only activates the pump.
Southern Soobie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

I had a similar problem, a clip routing the hose broke and the hood was pinching the hose shut...

But how your switch behaves is odd.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I had a similar problem, a clip routing the hose broke and the hood was pinching the hose shut...

But how your switch behaves is odd.
yep, my 03 is stock, and despite the icon showing spray for 'pull back', it ONLY sprays if I depres the button on the stalk's end.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

Oh, I thought you were saying it spayed when you pull back.

Pulling is for 'mist', gives one wipe.

Hitting the button turns on the washer and the wipers wipe automatically (which I hate and disabled).
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Legacy Outback Classic 4 Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Oh, I thought you were saying it spayed when you pull back.

Pulling is for 'mist', gives one wipe.

Hitting the button turns on the washer and the wipers wipe automatically (which I hate and disabled).
Lol. Thanks for clearing the pull mode operation up. I generally pull and hold it.
Southern Soobie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: