Subaru Outback Forums banner

Valve cover gaskets; should I go OEM?

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  eagleeye 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to order parts to fix an oil leak on my car. Its leaking fairly bad from the valve cover gaskets and I've been putting it off for a while but finally have the time to do it. I am trying to decide if I should go with OEM gaskets as I know Subarus can sometimes be picky with which parts are being put on. I was going to order the gasket set, OEM spark plugs, and an OEM PCV valve. Looks like its going to cost almost $170 for all the parts although I haven't shopped around enough yet. Are the OEM parts worth the extra cost?

#2 ·
I bought the OEM valve covers,....2 inner 2 outer, and 6 spark plug tube seals. (dealer sent 4 and I had to call to get the remaining 2, ...the had them packed for H4 turbo cars that take the same type making them easy to short H6 people when they pick them)

subaru is said to use relabeled Beck Arnley ones, and as they are just simple rubber gaskets, buying Becks or another known label is probably OK.
_______

I would not buy NGK spark plugs from a dealer. Rock Auto, Amazon, EBay, your local parts stores with a coupon.
and I would buy the original NGK double platinum,....and not the slightly cheaper NGK Iridium IX.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll just go OEM considering I'm already saving a ton of money doing this myself. The plugs I am getting are the original replacement for the car. I believe they are the NGK double platinum.

#4 ·
Valve cover gaskets: OEM or Fel-Pro.
Plugs and wires: NGK...only NGK. Do NOT buy anything other than identical plugs for your Subaru. Either stick with the copper cores(40kmiles) or the long life (100k+) iridiums

You can find much better deals online, Flea-Bay and Amazon. I just ordered a set of Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets and paid $25 total.

The last tune up I did on my 02 I installed new wires. NGK are very high quality. Buy this set: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/NGK-FX58-Premium-Spark-Plug/dp/B001MU28TI/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Subaru|13&Model=Outback|66&Year=2000|2000&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=5&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]

I bought a "used" set and saved a few bucks. They were brand new...someone simply returned them opened and the box was slightly torn. No big deal.

A couple of tips;

Plugs: While not necessary, use a dab of silicone based grease on the ceramic insulator prior to fitting the plug boot. Simply makes removal easier next time.

Wires: I ohm check all of my new wires PRIOR to installation. I've been bit before by a bad one. Didn't know it until everything was put back together. Make sure you bend the wire and simulate the light stress on each end for a flaky connection as well.

Gaskets: Pull the old gaskets off and clean up the cover with brake cleaner. If there are any imperfections along the sealing surface...fix them. Use a little silicone grease(or any grease) to lube the gasket prior to install as well. I just smear a little on my fingers and run the gasket through them. Just enough to help it seat fully into the groove. Also, make sure you replace the bolt grommets also. Your gasket kit should include them...if not, buy another kit.

You should be able to do your tune-up for easily under $100.

#5 ·
As much as I hate to say it, I've been putting this off for the past 2 months. I've had a lot going on and I've just been driving around my other car but I don't want to put it off any longer. I have been taking care of the Subaru and it hasn't just been sitting. Anyway, my questions were mainly answered before but I just had a few more things I wanted to ask or clarify before buying anything. First of all do I need a kit with the bolt grommets or is it ok to reuse them? I have not found any kits that include these or if they do it is not mentioned. Next, should I replace the spark plug wires? I'm guessing this would mostly be preventative maintenance and I'll probably do it anyway but it'd be good to know. Lastly, I've been having trouble finding parts. I can't seem to find the double platinum spark plugs and whenever I searched for them it just showed BMW versions. Also the NGK wires from the previous post only include 4 and my Outback is an H6. I could not find a set with 6. Thanks for any help in advance! Definitely motivated to do this ASAP!

#6 ·
your engine does not have plug wires, it is coil on plug (which is better)

here are all the parts for your car:
2003 SUBARU OUTBACK 3.0L H6 Parts | RockAuto

here is a 5% discount code for rockauto.com 4720111742502433

here is a valve cover kit BECK/ARNLEY 0361810
More Information for BECK/ARNLEY 0361810

I have never seen a kit for these with grommets. (its all rubber)

and the spark plug is NGK 7654 also known as PLFR6A11
More Information for NGK 7654
(for some reason it does not have a add to cart button, but you can search for them by part number).

#9 ·
Thanks for the help eagleeye. I placed an order for everything but the spark plugs are out of stock so I'll probably just get them somewhere else. Now I need to go back a read up on how to do this again since its been a while.

#10 ·
It looks like they have one at 5.45 labeled as "wholesale closeout" and if you click on that box in the middle of the screen you get a pull down menu.

and then the rest at 9.07 under regular stock

other places want more then 9 for them,.

..like at amazon (some real amazon auto parts dealer and not some place that sells pretzels and toilet paper)

Advance has them too, ship to home with discount TRT30 should come out to something like $9.58 each. (advance kind of pisses me off though charging taxes, and making one jump through hoops,...or their website screwing up like now - as I can't get that in a cart for ship to home).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.