Average cost for head gasket replacement? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 02 2.5 auto Outback Wagon "Limited"
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Average cost for head gasket replacement?

The time is nigh! After almost 90k miles of nothing but brakes and oil changes, I'm now drippping coolant from the area of the passenger side head.
she also need a host of other suspension consumable, but right now I'm focused on reliability.

How much did your headgasket swap cost you? I'm not going to do it myself, I'm debating Stealership VS Private mechanic at the moment.

Timing belt and other rubber gaskets should be replaced while I'm at it. Anything else while it's apart?

It runs fine now, it's tempting just to let it go..... but it will only run great up until it doesn't, leaving me stranded somewhere.

Thanks
Eric

5 and a half times around the earth and counting....
WayBack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1998 subaru outback - some dents and scratches, no rust. Good car to build on

have you tried the subaru conditioner in the coolant after a coolant change? some people say it slows or stops the external leaks

I was quoted $3300 + more if the heads needed to be machined, at the dealership in Canada (machine shops quoted me over $800 to do both heads and nothing else).
Was quoted anywhere from $2800 to $5600 by private shops. Some would only do it if I bought a rebuild engine, or rebuilt heads. Nobody would give me a quote on paper, till I paid to have the engine teared down by them.
I ended up doing it myself - head gaskets, seals, pulleys, timing belt goodies, radiator......... was around $900 for all the parts brand new.

Engine Rebuilt!! Lets Go!!
Typhoonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

i just call a reputable private place today to check. $1850 US was what I was quoted for the base HG fix. Head machining is extra and they recommended doing other things as needed.
NW99Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

When my 01 started leaking driver side at 65K the dealer cost was $1500 for just pulling the head and replacing the gasket and subaru stepped up and covered it. At 160,000 miles it was fine and leak free. So $1800 with machining is a decent price
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Make sure they do the entire timing belt job: belt, bearing, idler, water pump, reseal oil pump. Also make sure the new multi-layer steel gaskets are used.

But it seems like $1500-$1800 is the basic range.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoonk View Post
I was quoted $3300 + more if the heads needed to be machined,
You owe me a new pair of underwear! Thanks for the tip on the coolant conditioner, I've been thinking of replacing the thermostat and coolant, in the hope that maybe the coolant is squirting from the gasket.

1500 is about what I was expecting, so it may get done. If it was going to be 3K, I was going to trade it in on an XT. Never pay half a cars value to fix it, unless it was a free car.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Has the conditioner been in the car at past coolant services?

If the coolant is fairly fresh I'd add a bottle(or two) and drive it for a week or two and keep an eye on it. If the coolant is old, new Subaru coolant + conditioner and see how it goes. Should be in the $100 range at a shop or a lot less if you DIY.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
Has the conditioner been in the car at past coolant services?
What's a Coolant Service? I bought the car at 40k, it's at 126k now and this is the first time I've addressed the coolant, apart from checking levels. It stays cool, I didn't mess with it.

Does the coolant treatment have a part number.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yipe.

That really should get changed out every once in a while...think Subaru calls for 3 years/36k miles, with the conditioner added every service. With no service records your chances of getting SOA to contribute anything to a repair drop a lot. Sorry.

And I think the number is SOA635071

Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDFTW View Post
. With no service records your chances of getting SOA to contribute anything to a repair drop a lot. Sorry.

And I think the number is SOA635071
Wasn't counting on it... is that something they do? I've got the money, no worries..... I could think of things i'd rather spend it on, but I digress.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: