Subaru Outback Forums banner

resurfacing heads; how much?

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  greenghost45 
#1 ·
My 2006 OB 2.5 grenaded when the timing belt tensioner bolt sheared off. (That's another post). The valves are bent but I found some used heads for a fair price. But the machine shop found one head was already 0.010 less than Subaru specified minimum; he felt the head had already been milled previously. He did not say the head was junk, but that it would be my call. I am taking my damaged heads to the shop to see if they can combine them into a serviceable unit. Does anyone else have an opinion about this? I did find this useful post from a couple of years ago from Grossgary
"The Subaru Factor specs are:
Warping limit: 0.035 mm (0.0014 in)
Grinding limit: 0.3 mm (0.012 in)
Standard height of cylinder head: 127.5 mm (5.02 in)

But those are meaningless really to the question "how much can they be machined without causing issues" because they can be resurfaced beyond those limits without issues. Those are just numbers Subaru came up with that have large safety and CYA factors involved. The heads are easily taken below those numbers without issues.
"

Based on this, should I just have the shop resurface the thinner head and stop worrying? Is the machine shop just being super conservative?

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.