Subaru Outback Forums banner

Noisy rear end.

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ManSub 
#1 ·
Hi all, just joined. Have got great info on issues I have been having.
I do have a recurring and annoying noise coming from the rear transmission parts of my '97 OB, she has 140,000 on the clock.
When moving at steady rpm and speed there is a whine form the rear end, sometimes it sounds more like a growl. It leaves when further acceleration is introduced. It seems worse between 45mph and 60mph. I had wheel bearings done, the left side half shaft is new the differential and transmission where serviced ( fluid and filter). No metal in fluids. Noise continues!!!?? Any thoughts.

#2 ·
So the noise is coming from right underneath you ? or, the rear end ... I'm not clear on that.

Also what CV was replaced, front or rear ?

This is an Automatic correct ?

Did you change the Trans fluid and the front and rear diff fluid ?

Does it sound more like a bearing noise or a gear whine ? ... both can be affected by torque [throttle] but they sound different.

Here's a little writeup on drivetrain noise.

Diagnosing Drivetrain Noise

#4 ·
Is it possible it could be the drive shaft. I get a clunking noise from it when you shift from reverse to Drive and vice versa. I was also wondering, if it is the differential is it best to replace the whole thing or have someone rebuild. I can do many things myself but definetly not opening a diff.

It's snowing again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.