Topping up transmission fluid, few questions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Outback Sport EJ22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to reso
Question Topping up transmission fluid, few questions

Hi everyone,

1999 outback sport, 2.2l EJ22 engine, automatic transmission. Purchased used 2 years ago. Haven't had any problems and have done regular maintenance. Currently at 215,xxx km, bought at 195,xxxkm (timing belt changed right before purchase).

Noticed the transmission has been shifting a touch "harder". Girlfriend hasn't noticed, but I am a bit more in tune with vehicles/engines. Read the owners manual and it turned out I was checking the transmission fluid levels incorrectly: wasn't cycling through gears before leaving it in park and wasn't checking with the engine on. After checking properly I see that the transmission fluid level is just a tiny bit below the "L" mark on the hot side of the dipstick.

Transmission fluid is pinky-clear, doesn't smell burnt, so I am just thinking about topping up the fluid level. A few questions:

1.) I don't know what type of fluid is currently in the transmission, alldata says Dexron II or Dexron III ATF for this car, does it matter which transmission fluid I get? Is mixing fluid types a concern?

2.) Is it worth draining the current fluid to make the fluid all the same?

3.) Is the dipstick "calibrated" like the oil dip stick? (i.e. the difference between L and F on the dipstick is 1 litre of oil allowing you to gauge how much oil to add). Is there a set amount of tranny fluid to add to bring it up to L from F?

4.) I am embarrassed that I didn't know about the correct AT level check procedure. Any other tidbits of wisdom anyone want to pass on that I might not know? (huge open ended question).

Cheers!

Rob
reso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150

1. Use Dexron III ATF ... Many here on this forum, including me, use Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc as it seems to work well in our trans.

2. The trans fluid is typically overlooked at maintenance time. If you don't know the history, assume that it has never been changed. The AT holds about 10 quarts total ... with a drain of the trans pan, you only get out about 4 to 4.5 quarts, thus you need to multiple drain-and-fills to get mostly new fluid. 3-4 drain-and-fills should do it ... about $100 if you DIY.

3. Not sure, but I believe the difference between marks is 1 pint.

4. Read the thread below ... it's for a 2000OB which has a slightly different trans than the 99, but the procedures are mostly alike.
Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid (is easy)

Fresh fluid can sometimes work miracles for an AT.
RobLog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 99 OBS too. Low fluid levels make a big difference in shifting. It is always a good idea to change the fluid and filter, but try topping it off first, to see how things change.
Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Outback Sport EJ22
Send a message via ICQ to reso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerryrigger View Post
I have a 99 OBS too. Low fluid levels make a big difference in shifting. It is always a good idea to change the fluid and filter, but try topping it off first, to see how things change.

Going to top it off today and see how it goes, still not sure about the amount that needs to be added, is there any verification from subaru about how much to add based on the dip-stick makers (i.e. L->F = 1 litre, etc)?
reso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reso View Post
Going to top it off today and see how it goes, still not sure about the amount that needs to be added, is there any verification from subaru about how much to add based on the dip-stick makers (i.e. L->F = 1 litre, etc)?
The best way is to do just a little at a time. It's a pain, but adding too much is a bigger pain.
Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 1999 30th Anniversary Legacy 2.5L 4EAT

I would add a 1/2 quart (1 pint) and see if it improves shifting. If not I would consider a few drain/refills like RobLog suggested. I also use MaxLife ATF but others have used Mobil 1 ATF and some have used the cheapest brand from Walmart (SuperTech?) so your choice.

Stay away from the quick lube Transmission "Flushes" as they have been know to cause issues on some vehicles.

If you change the spin on AT filter (don't bother dropping the pan to remove the screen) read this before you decide whether to buy the cheap auto store ATF filter or spend the $$ for a Subaru OEM one, your call. Subaru transmission filter IS different
miker104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback LTD

Make sure you are reading the stick correctly. Most of the time I get some "tube creep" and it is hard to tell exactly where the level is. You must see a oil line all the way across the stick. Most of the time tube creep reads high.

At this point I wouldn't worry about what kind of ATF you add. Jsut that it is compatabile. Even if you drain it about a third is still left in the tranny. Just top off and see what happens.
TahoeOutback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: