Reverse lights not working? (quick fix) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Reverse lights not working? (quick fix)

I have a 2008 outback and the reverse lights just stopped coming on a few months ago. I tried replacing the bulbs, but that wasn't the problem. I then thought it might be a wiring problem, and it was. When you open the trunk you can see two rubber sleeves near the roof that run from the car to the trunk. If you move the rubber sleeve you can see the wires inside and about four of them were completely severed and a few others were cracked and about to break. I just re-attached them with some butt-splice connectors and the reverse lights are good as new again. I hope this helps if anyone else out there is having the same problem. (the rubber sleeve on the passenger side is the one that had the problem on my car, the driver side wires seemed to be fine, at least for now)
highsidenj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Thanks for reporting this and how you handled it. Good troubleshooting.

There's actually a growing number of threads here about broken wires in the rubber sleeve. Sometimes it's the backup lights, or the rear wiper, or the latch not locking -- in fact I think just about all the electrical functions in the rear gate have been reported as not working with the ultimate finding of a broken wire.

But it's important that you added your experience because this will no doubt help others who have the same problem and look here for ideas.

Unfortunately, it looks as if it's likely other wires in the sleeve will also fail, so if any of the rear gate electrical functions are not working, look in the sleeve again. Also, if a fuse seems to blow repeatedly, and it powers an electrical circuit that includes something in the rear gate, it could be a broken wire at the sleeve touching ground. (Seen this with the clearance and tail light fuse, and with the brake light fuse.)

Welcome to the forum!
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 08' Outback Limited

Just discovered this on my 08'.
Reverse lights are on when car is in park and all lights on after I shut the hatch.
When I messed with the passenger side wire bundle they went off........now they don't come on when car is put in reverse.
I probably broke the wires all the way!!!
Will report back.
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsrocket View Post
Will report back.
Got in there and found the solid purple wire and the brown wire with a yellow stripe were completely severed on the passenger side.
Gonna reconnect them by soldering on an extension when I get a chance.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsrocket View Post
Gonna reconnect them by soldering on an extension when I get a chance.
Done and done! Everything works great!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2008, LL Bean Wagon. 3.0L, NAV

Hi All

I know this is an old thread but I had the same issue with the wires. One was broken and 3 others had the insulated jacket cracked and opening up. I repaired the wires and taped all of them together. Maybe this will keep the others from breaking if all of the wires are taped together making them more ridged. Don't know for sure but we will see.
Rich
rcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: