Coolant Overflow boiling - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-31-2005, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to onedownfiveup
Default Coolant Overflow boiling

Anyone had problems with the over flow boiling coolant and changin the thermostat and fixing it?

Local Subaru Dealership Service guy said it's either bad thermostat or headgasket.

This is a 1998 Subaru Outback Legacy 2.5 120k miles

Edit: When the temp on the temp gauge goes up there is no heat out of the heater.

CBR Motorsports
Cheapest Joe Rocket and HJC Dealer!
onedownfiveup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hokey Pokey Champion

Car: '05 Gold OBXT Stg2+

Is the coolant dirty? If it is, you're almost garanteed it's a headgasket problem.

If it's not dirty, there's a slim chance you've got something else going on (although I kinda doubt it). Is your coolant level correct? It's possible it's low, or there could be bubbles causing it to flash & blow back into the resevoir.

I had this exact problem happen to me in my 97 OBW (looks like it's overheating, no heat due to an empty heater core & coolant all over the underside of the hood...filled her back up and no more problems for a few thousand more miles), but never got a straight answer on what was wrong before I traded it in, feeling it was a sign to get a new car asap.

Incidentally, i had all this happen on the coldest day of the year, it was like 15 or 20 below zero with crazy winds. I assumed my thermostat froze, so I warmed it up in a garage & everything seemed fine after that.

Still...it sounds ominously like a blown headgasket I narrowly escaped paying for...let us know what you find out & good luck.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT

Yes, you are describing the exhaust-to-coolant headgasket failure symptoms perfectly. Did you also get

- water rushing/gurgling noises behind the dash

- wild indicated temp swings (both up and down)

Join the club, here's your membership card, expect a newsletter.
The_Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2005, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

Send a message via AIM to onedownfiveup

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Lizard
Yes, you are describing the exhaust-to-coolant headgasket failure symptoms perfedtly. Did you also get

- water rushing/gurgling noises behind the dash

- wild indicated temp swings (both up and down)

Join the club, here's your membership card, expect a newsletter.
Great. Just Great.

What have people paid for a shop to do head gaskets?

CBR Motorsports
Cheapest Joe Rocket and HJC Dealer!
onedownfiveup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT

As I told another member recently, use the board's Search function to look for headgaskets, head gasket, etc. There have been pages written about it here, plus many links to outside sources of information.
Attached Files
File Type: wav dirge.wav (59.8 KB, 171 views)
The_Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1998 outback limited 2.5 dohc
Default reply, maybe cracked heater core

my 98 obw today had the same. no heat at good temp. then i noticed a sound ,, it was spurting out of a crack in the heater core. leaked coolant onto the passenger side floor?
freedomdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

if it ends up being the h.g , and you can wrench, do it yourself. looks like you've got a back up vehicle, you'll save yourself about a grand.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 1997 Outback Limited Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by onedownfiveup

Great. Just Great.

What have people paid for a shop to do head gaskets?
I think just the HG on mine cost about $1100. I had alot of other stuff done at the same time, some necessary for HG, some just appropriate to do at the same time (heads resurfaced, valves, main seals, valve cover gaskets, water pump, thermostat, timing belt). All told, it cost about right under $3000.

I will say too that for that price it has been done perfectly. I've gone on a couple 1000+ mile road trips since then, and the car keeps the temp perfect. It takes about a minute to get to operating temp, and its not once budged from there.

The shop I use specializes in Subarus, and my specific mechanic worked at a Subaru dealer for about 15 years, and builds all of the shop's Subaru race cars. He personally drives some monster Loyale thats a bizzarre DOHC 2.5 with the turbo off the old Legacy Touring sedan (2.2), and the only 360 (Subaru's microcar, not Modena ) I've ever seen personally, plus some bizarre 360 based microvan.

1997 Outback Limited, AT, Rio Red, WRX Wheels on Pirelli 215/65/16's, JVC Arsenal MP3/CD with iPod direct connect, Yakima rack with Skybox 16s Pro, JDM Legacy GT-B grille, projector headlights, sidemarkers and tail lights, PIAA 510 foglights, '05 badges.

1994 Chevrolet Beretta coupe, Vortec 3100 V6, AT, 16" wheels, 1989 Beretta GTU spoiler, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N cone.
97riored is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

my heads ddn't need to be surfaced, all else looked fine.

cost me a little over $250 for the timing belt, head gaskets, valve cover/bolt gaskets, fan belts.

it's a little work, but that's alot of money you get to keep for something else.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 97 Outback Limited 2.5

Quote:
Originally posted by JazzyMT
Is the coolant dirty? If it is, you're almost garanteed it's a headgasket problem.

If it's not dirty, there's a slim chance you've got something else going on (although I kinda doubt it). Is your coolant level correct? It's possible it's low, or there could be bubbles causing it to flash & blow back into the resevoir.

I had this exact problem happen to me in my 97 OBW (looks like it's overheating, no heat due to an empty heater core & coolant all over the underside of the hood...filled her back up and no more problems for a few thousand more miles), but never got a straight answer on what was wrong before I traded it in, feeling it was a sign to get a new car asap.

Incidentally, i had all this happen on the coldest day of the year, it was like 15 or 20 below zero with crazy winds. I assumed my thermostat froze, so I warmed it up in a garage & everything seemed fine after that.

Still...it sounds ominously like a blown headgasket I narrowly escaped paying for...let us know what you find out & good luck.
I had the exact same behavior with my '97. Even down to it acting up when it was freezing friggin cold. Paid $1200 for the repairs, including some incidentals.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: