Lower Control Arm Bushings - Replacement Question - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Iowa
Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i
Posts: 7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lower Control Arm Bushings - Replacement Question

Greetings,

2005 Outback 2.5i - 96,000 miles

I've had a similar issue as others with cracked/disintegrating lower control arm bushings causing a "thudding" sound. The dealer initially diagnosed the problem as the bushings and also suggested replacement of both ball joints due to wear on the ball joint boots (Quoted $590 for bushings, ball joints and alignment).

I checked the issue with an independent mechanic who concurred with the bushing replacement, but said the ball joints were fine. They suggested replacing the lower control arms instead of just the bushings (Their quote was $650).

Looking for opinions on what route I should take. Does it make more sense to replace the full LCAs instead of just the bushings? Any input appreciated.

Thanks
rossmort is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:12 AM
ETC
Registered User
 
ETC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Ca
Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT
Posts: 5,539
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What bushing is worn out ?

The front transverse link bushing is most likely ... it's also the cheapest at about $12. You have to press the old one out and press a new one in but, not a huge deal. The rear bushing is between $75-100 and should just be a bolt on part but, I haven't done them yet so, just guessing.

Ask them their reasoning behind not replacing the bushings [other than the fact that it's easier to just bolt the new arm on] ;]
ETC is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Iowa
Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i
Posts: 7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC View Post
What bushing is worn out ?

The front transverse link bushing is most likely ... it's also the cheapest at about $12. You have to press the old one out and press a new one in but, not a huge deal. The rear bushing is between $75-100 and should just be a bolt on part but, I haven't done them yet so, just guessing.

Ask them their reasoning behind not replacing the bushings [other than the fact that it's easier to just bolt the new arm on] ;]
I believe you nailed the reasoning - They said it would be a couple hour job.
rossmort is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 AM
ETC
Registered User
 
ETC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Ca
Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT
Posts: 5,539
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I thought I posted this picture ... guess not.

The part is way less than I thought, you could probably replace it yourself ... if you have a few tools. Pop the ball joint out of the steering knuckle, mark the position of the rear bearing, bolt it back together ... probably wouldn't need an alignment.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...p?partid=13142
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transverse Link.JPG
Views:	10698
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	19530  
ETC is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered User
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn NY
Car: 09 Tribeca Limited
Posts: 879
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i've done them on my old car a few years back you WILL NEED an impact gun to do this took me two hours per bolt to get them out would've been 10 mins with impact otherwise its not hard no need for alignment afterwards
Dodik is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered User
 
'05 Outback 2.5i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Maryland
Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual
Posts: 1,255
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC View Post
I thought I posted this picture ... guess not.

The part is way less than I thought, you could probably replace it yourself ... if you have a few tools. Pop the ball joint out of the steering knuckle, mark the position of the rear bearing, bolt it back together ... probably wouldn't need an alignment.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...p?partid=13142
The '05-'09 Front suspension is completely different, the bushings he is referring to are #9 in the box in the lower right hand corner. You can see the lower control arm is a completely different design..



Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmort View Post
Looking for opinions on what route I should take. Does it make more sense to replace the full LCAs instead of just the bushings? Any input appreciated.

Thanks
RossMort, see this thread for more information.

~Scott
'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon (Now with a new owner )
Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

Save The Manuals!
'05 Outback 2.5i is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Iowa
Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i
Posts: 7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05 Outback2.5i View Post
The '05-'09 Front suspension is completely different, the bushings he is referring to are #9 in the box in the lower right hand corner. You can see the lower control arm is a completely different design..



RossMort, see this thread for more information.
Info very much appreciated. I'll be checking with the dealer and the independent shop to check prices on replacing just the bushings. Wife's car with 1 toddler and another on the way - I can't risk trying this on my own and risking a non-drivable car for a few days if I mess something up :-/ Again, I very much appreciate the insight!
rossmort is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered User
 
'05 Outback 2.5i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Maryland
Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual
Posts: 1,255
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmort View Post
Info very much appreciated. I'll be checking with the dealer and the independent shop to check prices on replacing just the bushings. Wife's car with 1 toddler and another on the way - I can't risk trying this on my own and risking a non-drivable car for a few days if I mess something up :-/ Again, I very much appreciate the insight!
My Pleasure. Post # 5 in the linked thread mentions that some parts wholesalers will sell the entire lower arm, loaded with new bushings. If you are looking to do the work on your own, that removes the most difficult part for the driveway mechanic (pressing the old bushings out and the new ones in)..

~Scott
'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon (Now with a new owner )
Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

Save The Manuals!
'05 Outback 2.5i is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome