2003 Outback Wagon H6-3.0 O2 Sensor Location - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 Outback LL Bean Edition
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 Outback Wagon H6-3.0 O2 Sensor Location

I apologize... I realize that this has been asked 1000000 times... trust me, I just read ALL of these darn threads trying to figure out location... and I am still confused.

Had my CEL go on, took it to a friend that had a ODB-II reader, told me the code being thrown was for O2 Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1. From what I have read, this is one of the pre-cat sensors... I just don't know what side I should be installing it on... The passenger side? Or the driver side?

This is the part that I plan to order from Subarupartsforyou.com as a replacement. Wouldn't mind comment on whether or not this is the right part too: http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...p?partid=11902

Sorry to be annoying, but I wouldn't mind some positive comments from some experience H6 engine repairmen.

Thank you!

EDIT: Found a rather detailed diagram of the exhaust setup... but it doesn't list the sensor Bank/Sensor #s. Uploaded the pdf for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H6_EXHAUST.pdf (87.7 KB, 746 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback
Problem with H6 advice is that they don't need fixing often, so the experience pool is somewhat shallow...

And yeah, C or D.

"AIR FUEL RATIO SENSOR FOR 2001-2004 LEGACY OUTBACK H6 MOTOR ONLY (car uses same sensor for left or right side ITEM C or D) sold individually" "22641AA03C front H6 "

Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Problem with H6 advice is that they don't need fixing often, so the experience pool is somewhat shallow...

And yeah, C or D.

"AIR FUEL RATIO SENSOR FOR 2001-2004 LEGACY OUTBACK H6 MOTOR ONLY (car uses same sensor for left or right side ITEM C or D) sold individually" "22641AA03C front H6 "

Dave
Thanks.

I just called my local dealership and they said Bank 2 Sensor 1 is driverside, pre-cat sensor.

Now I just have to decide if I want to drive 30 minutes to buy it for 180$ there, or order it off SPFY for 145$ (130+15$ shipping). Sorta feel like I owe them the sale now that they helped me out... but it will end up costing me 200$ after I factor in gas. -_-
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Car: 2002 VDC Wagon H6 3.0
Suggest you do both precat sensors.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182RG View Post
Suggest you do both precat sensors.
The car only has 60k miles on it. I read that they can last up to 150k... Don't really have the spare cash right now to do both. I am hoping this one dying was a fluke. Just need to get that CEL off. I have to get an inspection this month. ><
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 PM

160k on my O2 sensors.

Have you tried clearing the code and seeing if it comes back?

Have you checked the wiring?

Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Car: '03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
I had all three of mine replaced at about 190K miles, hoping for mileage improvements. Nothing gained. NO codes or anything, it just seemed like time to do it, but apparently not needed at that point.

They are pricey.............
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 PM

So you have 3 used ones for sale?

Dave
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM
BAZ

Car: 2002 Outback LL Bean (H6)
Bank 2 is indeed the driver side (left side as you sit in the car) on the USA Subaru.
I corrected a P0051 code by replacing the driver-side sensor -- after I'd first installed it on the wrong (passenger) side due to the confusion in these forums on which is which.

Check out the service manual document at the link below - lots of H6 engine troubleshooting information, including pin-outs for checking voltages and resistance on these expensive sensors.

http://www.subaru-car.ru/leg1/leg1_sec1_11-2.pdf

Good Luck
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Well another sensor went, so just to be absolutely thorough in my documentation of these things, I thought I'd make a new post to help other confused people out in the future.

O2 Sensor CEL Codes:
P0051 - Bank 2 Sensor 1 Sensor
P0031 - Bank 1 Sensor 1 Sensor
P0134 - Bank 1 Sensor 1 Wiring Harness (included in below listed part number)

O2 Sensor Locations:
Bank 1 Sensor 1 - Passenger Side Pre-Cat Sensor
Bank 2 Sensor 1 - Driver Side Pre-Cat Sensor

Bank 1 Sensor 1 & Bank 2 Sensor 1 Replacement Part No.: 22641AA03C

I'm sure there's others out there that like to see this information in black and white for verification, and this thread seems to come up pretty high in Google when searching for H6 O2 sensor locations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: