Diesel problems - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Diesel problems

Hi All,

I have an Outback Diesel '08 with 103K km (about 60k mi.) on the clock.
Subaru changed the short block 10 months ago due to a faulty crank shaft bearing. At that time the car had 42k km on the clock. The car got fixed and I went back on the road. For several months I have only been bothered with the change of a clutch, a fly wheel and a front wheel bearing.

But now, 10 months and 61k km later, I am changing the short block again, along with the turbo. The only difference is that this time there's no warranty to cover the "dent" in my wallet, and I am about to end up with a repair costing what equals to 13.000 euro or almost 20.000 usd (Denmark is quite expensive, when it comes to cars and parts, due to a f***** up tax system).
Luckily Subaru has decided to help me and they'll cover the cost of the turbo, the short block and a gasket kit, along with 4 garage hours. That means that I am "only" ending up with the bill for 20+ garage hours (at usd 171/hour).

My questions are;
- Am I the only one who's experienced problems to that extend with a Sub Diesel ?
- Should I change the car, since I have already worked my way through 2 boxer diesel engines ? Or should I believe the people who says that it can't happen a third time ?

(For the suspicious part of you guys: It has been maintained by an aut. Subaru garage, it has never been driven hard - I drive alone, and are never putting any strain on the engine or anything else).

In hope of some encouragement from fellow sub owners...
Super-baru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

WHat are the odds of having it happen twice. Granted they are basically replacing weverything but personally I would be leary of the car.

"For several months I have only been bothered with the change of a clutch, a fly wheel and a front wheel bearing." I know of some clutch issues on the diesels, but you shouldnt have needed a weel bearing so soon.
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

Odd

I have absolutely no Idea of the reliability of the diesel motors.

What externally to the motor could cause two crank failures ? ... only thing that comes to mind that would be swapped back on the motor is the crank pulley/harmonic balancer and the Crank and Cam sensors. There is the output shaft too but, that seal should be leaking like a sieve if the shaft is being tweaked. The only other thing I can think of is the ECU is giving bad injector signals and the crank is getting hammered [the whole idea of a diesel is "knock" but, there is a limit].

Tough call, I am curious why Subaru decided to cover the parts cost and what their "take" on the failures is ?
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Apparently, now their explanation for the 2nd failure is a faulty turbo, which caused a lot of engine oil to enter the combustion chamber - this caused the engine to burn the engine oil as if it was fuel and rev like crazy. The garage says that the car has been reved up to 6600 rpm when they were testing it. Logically, that spoiled the engine...
So all in all the turbo is to be blamed.
I guess they felt like helping me out, considering my history with the car.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-baru View Post
Apparently, now their explanation for the 2nd failure is a faulty turbo, which caused a lot of engine oil to enter the combustion chamber - this caused the engine to burn the engine oil as if it was fuel and rev like crazy. The garage says that the car has been reved up to 6600 rpm when they were testing it. Logically, that spoiled the engine...
So all in all the turbo is to be blamed.
I guess they felt like helping me out, considering my history with the car.
That actually does happen in turbo deisels. All you can do is let it run and self destruct (and run like ****). Deisel is an oil. You shut a deisel off you shut off the fuel supply. When the seal goes there is no fuel supply to shut off and no way to control engine rpm. One of two things happens, engine over-revs and blows up, or engine runs away consumes all oil and blows up.

This does happen with gasoline turbos too, but you dont get the runaway engine.

I do not know what consumer protections you have in Norway, but in my opinion they should cover everything.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, Subaru claims that since the 3 year full warranty has expired in April, I have no warranty any longer, and thus can't claim anything.
I am, to some extent, ok with the fact that they are then covering the cost of the parts without being forced.
But I am scared as he** that it'll happen a third time and I'll then end up with a huge bill.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC View Post
Odd

I have absolutely no Idea of the reliability of the diesel motors.

What externally to the motor could cause two crank failures ? ... only thing that comes to mind that would be swapped back on the motor is the crank pulley/harmonic balancer and the Crank and Cam sensors. There is the output shaft too but, that seal should be leaking like a sieve if the shaft is being tweaked. The only other thing I can think of is the ECU is giving bad injector signals and the crank is getting hammered [the whole idea of a diesel is "knock" but, there is a limit].

Tough call, I am curious why Subaru decided to cover the parts cost and what their "take" on the failures is ?
ETC,

once the oil seal in the turbo gives way, you have a runaway engine with the injectors shut off. The engine may have over-reved, but more likely ran out of oil, I don't know. I havent heard of any other engine failures, just them eating clutches.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 07 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper View Post
That actually does happen in turbo deisels.
You don't even need a turbo. Back in the mid-'70s VW had a runaway problem with its NA Deisels caused by oil mist from the PCV system. They had to add some baffles under the valve cover to prevent it.
ron917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 03:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

That makes sense

So, it's not anything to do with the car being jacked up and eating motors, it's just a part failure and there is no reason to suspect that another will "grenade" ... Unless of course the turbo seal failure is a known problem and all the "New Old Stock" units they have are defective.

I would take the deal and fix the car ... actually I would have them drop the parts off at my house and do it myself ;]
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

I admire anyone who can change the engine block in a Subaru - especially if it is at home.
I am just a forester, thus no expert in auto repairs. So I think I'll let the pros do the job.
Thx for all the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: