Heater issues - 2005 Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Recruit

Car: 2005 Outback wagon LLBean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heater issues - 2005 Outback

My 2005 Outback, with auto climate control, provides too much initial heat on cold days. The computer heating profile seems too aggressive and provides max heat until the cabin is fully warmed. At that point it modulates itself and runs properly. Obviously getting this hot blast right in the face (if the system is allowed to do what it wants) is uncomfortable, and less than desirable. Other vehicles I have owned with the same type of auto climate control manage the process better. I can certainly go complain to the dealer, but first want to know if any other owners have this issue.
Thanks,
Richferg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm Not Slash...yet.

Car: 2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal / 2002 Outback Limited - Timberline Green
Send a message via AIM to FMGreen
Ah, I see you've met HAL.

Do a board search for HAL (in the upper right hand corner) and you'll find endless discussion about the ACC (automatic climate control) with a mind of it's own.
Do it quick though, he's watching and he's not happy with you. Next time you get in the car and it won't start, don't be surprised to hear a gentle voice that says "I'm sorry Rich, but I can't let you do that."

www.FMGreen.net If you can't keep it clean, keep it green! www.FMGreen.net
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Hokey Pokey Champion

Car: '05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
Actually, when it's decently cold out like it is today, my 05 XT goes full blast heat until long after the cabin is sufficiently warm. For example, my heat setting is 70 & it's probably over 80 before it will pull back the reins.

Something that should help you out though - HAL, or the ACC will only turn the controls manual one setting at a time. So, if you set your temps & hit auto, then adjust the fan manually, the rest of the system is still auto (temp control, AC use, vent setting) and you can set the fan to whatever you find most comfortable.

Alternatively, you could adjust something else like the vent setting to feet or defrost manually & let it try it's darnest to warm the car up quickly.

When the Winds of Change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Mengde's Brigadier

Car: 2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
Yep, been complaining about that for about a year. And then after it finally settles down it actually gets too cold. So I find myself lowering the temp setting to trigge it to settle down, then I have to increase it beyond the initial setting to keep the temperature I really want. the ACC is the single most infuriating feature of this car.

There are several issues with this ACC, but the main culprit behind this temperature overshoot is the poorly designed temp sensor. It relies on a ventury to flow air through the sensor, problem is when the air in the sensor is cold, the less dense warm air just doesn't flow.

Someone came up with a fix that you can find right .here

Fast Sly
“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” - James Dean
www.duford.com * www.digitalfotographer.com * TragicPlanet.org * VW Tiguan * Audi Q5
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Car: 2005 Outback wagon LLBean
Thanks to all of you. Those are really helpful responses and are most appreciated. I suspect I'll try reducing my dependence on the automatic features, and maybe investigate the venturi fan.
Richferg
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Legionairre

Car: 06 OBXT
the problem is that inside temperature sensor does not "feel" what you feel, when surrounded by plastic, it is still cold, put your hand over it (I dont know where that sensor is in subie) for a minute and it will calm down, I used to do that on my pathfinder with auto AC.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I am Root

Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
Has anyone tried the fix that Sly posted? If so did it make a difference in the performance of the system?

Xbox Live handle: shinynugget
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Dropkick

Car: 2005 Outback 3.0R
one more thing.

How the HAL (pun intended) does the dual zone ACC work when there is only one temperature sensor in the cabin (on the drivers side?)

How does it work out the passanger side temp?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Hokey Pokey Champion

Car: '05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
Quote:
Originally posted by yobbo
How does it work out the passanger side temp?
It guesses. And actually, I think it's better at guessing the difference than actually calculating the cabin temp with the temp sensor it has.

When the Winds of Change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: