Subaru Outback Forums banner

Concerns about buying first Subaru

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  z28dug 
#1 ·
I am in need of a new car and really wanted to get a Subaru for the AWD and Rep they have. I went to test drive a 06 Subaru Outback 4cyl auto (non turbo) with 90k miles. It was in very nice shape and drove good except 2 things I noticed. First concern was when I let off the gas the car would jump forward slightly like if you let off the gas in a manual trans without pushing in the clutch. Second concern was when you come to a complete stop the RPMs drop to almost 500 for a second like the car is close to stalling but it wouldn't stall. I had a feeling these 2 might be connected and something in the tranny isn't quite right like the clutch isn't engaging fully but I have never had a Subaru before. Is this normal or anything to worry about? Thank You

#2 ·
> First concern was when I let off the gas the car would jump forward slightly like if you let off the gas in a manual trans without pushing in the clutch.

That happens, I got used to it and do not let off the gas too quickly. As far as I know that is normal for Subaru. At least older ones. I have '09 Legacy.

> Second concern was when you come to a complete stop the RPMs drop to almost 500 for a second like the car is close to stalling but it wouldn't stall.

It is not normal. I had this problem, but my engine would stall ( I have automatic trans). Fixed this by resetting idle rpms.

Probably you can find an instruction how to do that on this forum.

Basically you disconnect negative wire from battery for a minute and reconnect. The idle is reset, now you need to start the engine with no accessories turned on (AC, lights, radio everything must be of). Do not press gas pedal, let the engine relearn idles for 5-10 minutes until the rpms drop to normal 650 rpms approx.

If this doesn't help, people say it could be bad torque converter, then it's an expensive fix.

Anyhow you might have a different issue.

Subaru has good rep, they are reliable and all, but mine is exception, spend to much money and time to get it fixed (engine blew at 110mph).

Good luck.

#3 ·
used cars are used cars - they are almost all equal 'risks'. Brand reliability reputation drops as cars get older - the treatment/maintenance they have received, and their current condition are WAY more important than brand or model.

you might consider finding a soob-experienced local mechanic that could do a pre-purchase inspectiom. Bad news from his inspection might help you avoid a headache, disappointing news might help you negotiate a better price.

#4 ·
Which cars get traded in more often - ones with issues or perfect gems? Pretty easy question - so when you buy from a used car lot you're essentially purchasing from a supply of vehicles that is higher than average in problematic vehicles. Most are fine - but they're still more problematic cars than average.

That's mitigated if you're well versed in particular vehicles you're looknig for or mechanics...but most people aren't.

Better off finding a one owner person wanting to get $1,000 more than trade in for their vehicle.

The doctor that's moving.
The guy getting low balled for trade ins.
The retired couple tired of driving a stick.
The growing family that needs an SUV.

All of those are true stories of cars I've bought - they're cheap, amazing deals, and I can easily read if they're selling it for any ominous issues. All those cars - and many others I'ev bought like them - no issues.

The last three I've helped people by from dealers - 1 has been a gem, the other two ended up having headgasket issues.

That's not anecdotal - read my first paragraph. Granted I'm well versed in cars and people so I'm at a serious advantage but it's at least worth minimal effort to try craigslist, autotrader, etc.

Generally when you're buying $7,000+ cars from career type people you don't run into any of the weirdo situations you might imagine. Keep your eye out and it'll be like the examples I gave above. Doctors, family guy, retired couples - last thing they care about is making someone mad over a used car sale in front of their house with their new car in the driveway.

#5 ·
It is from a private party. The guy claims his wife didn't like the Subaru and wanted a Volvo instead so he is selling it. $6000 for an 06 Subaru Outback with 90k miles and he claims the head gaskets and timing was recently replaced. Does this sound like a decent deal? Also is it true you need to replace all 4 tires if you get 1 flat?

#6 ·
It's only true if he can produce documentation on these repairs.

Tires need to be matched within a spec for circumference, and if there is too much difference with a replacement tire, shops can shave it to match the others. But if there's only 10-20% of tread life left in the others, I'd probably replace all four - after all, why knock off 80% of a replacement tire's tread life in order to save 3x20% of life on the other three?

#7 ·
Based on your description it is not a good deal. Maybe worth $4500 probably less. Lots of places to check value, KBB, TrueCar, etc.

You test drove an 10 year old car. You found issues. Owner asking top dollar. Walk away and go find another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.