Piston Slap? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Piston Slap?

Hey all!

I recently replaced my engine in my 2002 Subaru Outback (EJ25 engine) with a remanufactured one I bought from a reputable Ebay seller.

It runs wonderfully, and runs considerably smoother and with better power than my old one did. However, there seems to be one issue... It makes a knocking sound. And it sounds exactly like Piston Slap (from all the research I've done both here, and listening to youtube videos that sound identical).

Is it possible that the remanufacturing wasn't done properly with respect to rehoning the cylinder walls? According to the seller, all the bearings were replaced, new rings, all new idlers and tensioner, reconditioned cylinder walls. I paid good money for the engine, and now question whether I should be returning it or not.

What do you think?

Thanks!
gravarch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

If it is just piston slap...almost every 2.5 Subaru engine I have heard has had some. My family has had 3: a 2.5 DOHC, a 2.5 SOHC, and a 2.5 turbo SOHC. The turbo is the only one that doesn't have some slap.

That being said, does it quiet down when the engine comes up to operating temp? Our 2003 has a decent amount of piston slap/tick at start up and quiets down to very light noise after the engine warms up.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would probably say it does quiet down a bit when it comes up to operating temperature. But its definitely still noticeable after.

It's most noticeable and the loudest when it's just sitting at approximately 500-700rpm.
In fact, it sounds just like this, but maybe just a touch quieter: Subaru EJ25 piston slap or rod bearing knock - YouTube

But it seemingly doesn't increase in noise or intensity when you advance the throttle. In fact, It's less noticeable as you increase the throttle.

I bought a stethescope to see if I could identify any particular place its coming from. There isn't one particular place, but if I had to say, maybe the crankcase is the most identifiable. But you can hear it from placing the stethescope anywhere.

I suppose I'm maybe a little bit nervous just because my other EJ25, with 150K on it, made no noise even remotely close. Granted it off-ed itself with a shattered timing idler at 65mph, but that's another story.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

if it's piston slap, probably not much you can do about it. i doubt there's a warranty on engine decibel levels unless you operate under the "squeaky wheel gets the oil" philosophy.

repairing the old engine would have probably been a better engine as when the timing components break they only sustain easily repairable valve damage most of the time. i've yet to see a broken belt EJ25 not be repairable by just replacing a couple valves. i haven't seen piton or cylinder wall damage yet.

Subaru has a redesigned piston to cure piston slap (not sure though if that's all EJ25's or only the first EJ25D's, but obviously it's a huge job that isn't really ever done anyway, probably mostly for warranty complaints back in the day.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

if it's piston slap, probably not much you can do about it. i doubt there's a warranty on engine decibel levels unless you operate under the "squeaky wheel gets the oil" philosophy.

repairing the old engine would have probably been a better engine as when the timing components break they only sustain easily repairable valve damage most of the time. i've yet to see a broken belt EJ25 not be repairable by just replacing a couple valves. i haven't seen piton or cylinder wall damage yet.

Subaru has a redesigned piston to cure piston slap (not sure though if that's all EJ25's or only the first EJ25D's, but obviously it's a huge job that isn't really ever done anyway, probably mostly for warranty complaints back in the day.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post

I would have liked to have repaired the old engine, but it was a lot of work, and I wasn't comfortable having never done it before. All the valves are bent, the water pump got damaged when the idler failed, and the teeth on the gear of the crankshaft were nicked up. And the rings would need to be replaced as well, since the engine consumed an appreciable amount of oil.

I'm moving soon, and I may take the old engine with me and work on it when I have time... see if I can't make a good back up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: