Subaru Outback Forums banner

Problem after rebuild.

659 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ruppie18 
#1 ·
It was 1 am and finished up putting the engine back in after a complete rebuild of my 2001 limited. I connected the battery and with out the key in the ignition a bunch of stuff came to life. I gave it a shot of cranking it over getting the oil to pump through the engine and then tried to get it to start. It cranks over nice but I don't think I'm getting spark. Was hard to see since I was turning the key and trying to see. Another thing is once I turned the key off the fans turned on. Also I can pull the key out of the ignition and the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. I disconnect the battery and hear the relays reset and at that point i can connect the battery and everything stays off. One more there sounds like there is a relay in the tranny buzzing (auto trans).
I will be looking at it once I get home from my real job (I won't quit my day job) to see what I missed. I have a donor car to look at too which is helping out.

#2 ·
you didn't connect any green connectors under the dash did you? sounds a little like those diagnostic connectors. they should stay disconnected.

otherer wise ? maybe something odd with security - try locking/unlocking with the key fob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.