Engine Misfiring - 2000 Outback 2.5L - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
GAM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Misfiring - 2000 Outback 2.5L

Hi All,

First post here, hoping someone might be able to assist here before I blow more money chasing this problem.

Subaru Outback 2.5L 4 Cyl. It started idling rough and loses power under acceleration. I have been chasing it for a couple of months now and driving it feels like if might just blow up one day...LOL Seriously through is sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders.

Here is my testing and replacing so far (with zero change to the fault) in the order it was done :
- Coil checked for spark on all 4 cylinder - OK
- All Ignition leads fully replaced with new Bosch leads
- Noticed Oil on the Spark plug tubes. Figured it may be creating some arcing
- Replaced all the valve cover gaskets on both sides
- Replaced all 4 spark plugs

Still no joy so took it to a Mechanic. After 2 days they:
- Reconditioned all Fuel injectors
- Checked for pulse on injectors
- Ran a compression test and said it tested fine

They are at a loss and now say I need a new motor. Said it could be a "Burnt Valve" but whatever that is, wouldn't a compression test show this up?

The motor has 212,000Km. The head was fully reconditioned at 156K and all gaskets, belts have been done at that time.

In the past 10,000km, I thought the fuel usage was high so I had a code scan on the engine. It was saying Cam Shaft Position Sensor and Knock Sensor needed replacing so I have done these recently.

SO.... no change whatsoever. Mechanic still says it might be the head which I don't understand if the compression test was ok.

I asked about O2 sensor and he is adamant that this would not create this fault.

I'm over $800 in on this goose chase for a $3,800 car and now an engine is likely to be $3K fitted with no real guarantees it will be any better, so looking to see if there are any other ideas out there before I bite the bullet and replace the engine.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:53 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
hmmm...was gonna suggest knock sensor.

if it runs poorly under load and at speed as well, maybe fuel supply is poor due to cracked cap/ruptured o-ring on fuel pump.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
I moved the thread from the "aussie/ kiwi" section to somewhere for more people to view it.

132,000 miles = 212,000 km

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
GAM

Thanks Eageleye. Hoping for some ideas.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
subarus like NGK spark plug wires and plugs. (I see you got Bosch on the plug wires = "ignition leads" )

when was the last time the timing belt and its component pulleys etc were changed?

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
GAM

Thanks. I'll take a look at that provided I can find a suitable part here in Australia without replacing the whole unit. Just watched the video on this forum, I have done in-tank fuel filters before so pretty simple and worth trying.

Any other ideas?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
GAM

I put in NGK Spark plugs recently. Whilst the new Leads are Bosch, the fault remained identical between the old leads and new leads so I am working on the theory that new leads should not create an identical problem.

Timing belt and all other belts were replaced in the last 60,000km (36,000 miles). Air conditioning belt was replaced more recently as the pulley went bad and chewed it up so pulley and belt replace in the last 12 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: