Power Steering Pump Noise / Engine Whine after TB change - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Pump Noise / Engine Whine after TB change

I finished my Timing Belt replacement, water pump and thermostat replacement. Put everything back together and there was ticking noise for about 4 seconds, it went away and hasnt been back since.

However, the power steering pump whines a bit when turning the car?? I dont think it was there before. Possible the belts are too tight, too loose? Some fluid leaked out near where the lines connect to the radiator bottom (2003 OB)?

Any ideas? At a glance the fluid levels looked good.... Thanks

Also there is a slight whining noise over all with the engine idling (separate from the power steering pump which only happens in turning the steering wheel)- not sure if what was there before.

Lastly- There are two hoses on the bottom of the radiator coming from some metal tubing on the drivers side. I am guessing these are for cooling power steering fluid? Thats what appear to drip out in small amounts? Anyways upon reconnecting these (following a TB swap/radiator removal) How do I know 100% they back on the right tubes? (My friend and had a system for remembering it but -well murphy got us.) Are these related to power steering? Could this affect it? Ill dig in the chiltons in the AM, I need sleep, but this site seems more knowledgeable that book to be honest. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Geronimo51; 09-25-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:52 AM

Car: 2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
Does it sound like a squeal, when on full lock if so your belts are too loose. Are you sure these are are coming from the PS circuit, the only hoses i can think of going into the radiator would be the trans cooler lines if you have an auto.

Don't follow me i may be looking for a cache!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if it never made a noise before the job then i'd have to think it's related to something you did - would be very coincidental and statistically unlikely otherwise.

fluid level?
power steering belt too tight or too loose?

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
if it never made a noise before the job then i'd have to think it's related to something you did - would be very coincidental and statistically unlikely otherwise.
Precisely my concern. I'll look for other guides on here about the belt tightening.

As for the type of noise it is certainly a low frequency wobbling WEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR and not a squeal.

As I went to bed last night I realized those most likely were the lines to the Automatic Transmission and not the PS.... I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to map those lines and ensure they routed correctly.... Any ideas on a better place to search than the Haynes manual?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
those are not power steering lines - those are as you suspected, transmission fluid lines. it's just a tube inside the radiator, so it doesn't matter which side is inlet/outlet.

the power steering system doesn't have any cooling apparatus.

it's possible the pump is making the noise you just never noticed it before and are now more attentive having completed a big job.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
it's possible the pump is making the noise you just never noticed it before and are now more attentive having completed a big job.
Precisely what I was wondering.... The test will be when the wife takes it out.

Guess I'll check the belts. Is it possible over tightened belts would cause this?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean
The Power steering return hose that runs from the reservoir to the pump sits in a bracket that connects engine. If it is not seated correctly in the bracket then air gets in the line as fluid runs from the reservoir to the pump. Check to make sure the hose is seated correctly.

Why Is The Power Steering Making Noise on My Subaru Outback? - Seattle Subaru Repair
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

The power of good forum never seizes to amaze me... I'll be heading out to the garage in a few to try this. Thanks in advance.

+++UPDATE++++

Just got back in from the Garage. PERFECTO!!! Thats exactly what it was.... Thank you so much. Who knows how long I would've been plugging around trying to figure that out if it hadn't been for that bit of information.

Last edited by Geronimo51; 09-25-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: update
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
FYI the drive belts should be replaced with the timing belt.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM

Car: 2003 Outback 2.5L MT
I just replaced my timing system and experienced noise from the power steering pump afterwards. I read the above link from All Wheel Drive Auto, and it fixed my issue. Many thanks to those who make this forum invaluable!!!

'03 Outback | 2.5L | MT | 200k+ | 2nd owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: