Oil Light/Engine Light did not come on, Suby dead - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Oil Light/Engine Light did not come on, Suby dead

I have a 2009 Outback PEV 2.5 with 55+K miles. Fairly regularly serviced, but missed an oil change for 8+k miles. Engine blew a rod bearing yesterday. Oil light never came on, engine light never came on. Dealer did not inform me that this car burned 1 qt oil every 1K miles. Anyone else have trouble with no alert from car indicating oil pressure low?

Very surprised and frustrated I was not alerted to the potential that this could happen. Would've been more careful had I known any of this ahead of time.
MTGal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

8000 miles on old dino oil in a 09? Very possible that you oil level wasn't the issue but the oil simply was too dirty and too far gone to offer any sort of friction protection and you broke the engine as a result.

Even at 4000 miles my older subaru the oil was done with synthetic 5000 miles and the oil was ready to be replaced. 8000 miles even on synthetic pretty sure my car would have bit the dust even with a proper oil level.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

In the owners manual it states you should check the oil and fluids. Most people check every thousand or so miles it takes about 2 minutes. I'll pop the hood and take a quick peek while waiting for the gas pump.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

fair enough. but does your oil light come on when the pressure is low?
MTGal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGal View Post
fair enough. but does your oil light come on when the pressure is low?
It should but if the oil is super dirty it doesn't matter. Your failure could be due to oil that was no longer working and have nothing to do with low oil levels or both.

Very possible very dirty oil can cause the sensor to not read correctly also hence no light. Also keep in mind that when the light comes on you have virtually no oil anyway make it super dirty oil and the light never needs to come on the combination of low oil and dirty oil can cause this failure.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback EJ259

If the light comes on its probably too late for the engine anyway.
Keep tabs on your vehicle's health, don't rely on the dealer for everything.
ntippet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

As for oil use my wifes VW uses about 1.5 quarts of oil every 4000 miles has since the day it came home with zero miles on it. It has 55K on it now. Both of our subarus use so little oil its nearly impossible to tell even with the longer change intervals in the new subaru which runs far far cleaner than the old one.

Oil consumption is not abnormal for cars and the long run between oil changes increases the need to check the fluids on a regular basis.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Yes, when the oil pressure light comes on, it's probably too late. The pressure sensor that turns the light on is set to do so at around 2 psi. The oil pump can maintain pressure above this level even while at the same time insufficient oil is actually moving to the critical areas. It's much the same on all cars. The oil pressure light is just that -- it indicates that the pump is working. But, unfortunately, it does not indicate if enough oil is actually moving to lubricate the engine.

If the oil pressure light comes on (presumably due to loss of oil), it means that the pump can't draw up enough oil from the sump to develop pressure on it's output side.

When the engine oil level gets low, one sign is often noticeably more tapping noise, clatter, etc from the engine.
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: