Repair rust or not - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Repair rust or not

I have some rust forming mainly on the back left rear wheel well, but also some starting on the right rear wheel well. I took some pictures of the rust, any suggestions? I am not sure if I will be keeping the car > 1 year, but it is possible. The first two pictures are of the left rear wheel, the last picture is of the right.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Repair rust or not-photo-1.jpg   Repair rust or not-photo-2.jpg   Repair rust or not-photo-3.jpg  
tey112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon

I have rust in the same area on my 00. Decided to fix it a couple months ago. Blasted the spot, smoothed it with bondo, 2 coats self etching primer, 2 coats of sandable primer, 3 color coats, 3 coats of clear. Within 3 days the rust was popping back through!!!!!!!!! How is that possible? Matter of fact I have now done it twice and both times it was the same story. Any body guys on here have any ideas? So to answer your post I have not had any luck but it is better than it was before I started.
BOBOBW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

It pops back through because the rust is coming from the inside between the panels. You just treated the surface. A proper repair requires replacement of the affected area (aprox. 3 inches around the visible rust needs to be removed) with new metal. To the OP, probably not worth fixing unless you are going to keep the car a long time. You could try BOBOBW's method right before you sell to keep the cost down, though.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Went by a two body shops and this is what they told me:
Mom and Pop Shop: "Keeping the car for <5 years? Don't bother. It would cost upwards of $800. Have to drop the rear bumper, then cut out that panel, weld on new metal, then paint. At least the panel is small, so the paint is cheap." [might be off a bit, from memory]
Maaco: "You must do this now! $800"

Both also said no guarantees that the rust won't reappear, even for that cost.

I'm going to go with the don't bother advice. Looking around at subarus from that generation, it seems like nearly all have some rust in the rear wheel well. But I guess most cars in New England do after 10/11 years.

Looks like I'll be keeping the rust.
tey112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback Limited wagon, 206K miles

I have about that much rust on the left rear wheel well, as well. For a 12-year-old Minnesota/Wisconsin car, I'm counting myself fortunate and not doing a thing to it, since I doubt I'll keep the car that long. (Two or three years, sure; five, probably not: I don't keep any car that long.)
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

how old is the car? I have a rule any body work is basically a waste of money of course if the fender is falling off and the lights are all crooked then thats a safety issue but minor dents scrapes - and rust are not going to impact the cars ability to get you from point A to point B. And when it comes to rust your only seeing whats obvious don't waste your money on it. If you have $800 to spend on fixing rust buy some Apple stock and use the earnings to pay for a new car in a couple of years.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

If your worried about what others think. I put a nice big dent in my driver side door two months after buying a brand new legacy in 2001. A good friend 8yrs later freaked out that someone messed up my car and points at the dent. I laughed and said dude thats been there for 8years. He was like what? No way! I never noticed. Trust me it was a big dent and crease in the sheet metal door skin would need to be replaced cost was about $1500 at a cheap under the table shop.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

that should be reasonably fixable, pretty sure nipper fixed his in his 1998 OBW and he's a member here. nipper? nipper? if no one else pops up i'd post on USMB.

yes - it needs to be properly done but caught early enough it's doable without all the cutting/welding in of new metal. it won't be perfect, but there is a way to do it so that it doesn't get worse.

my 02 OBW and 96 LSi....and about a million other Subarus are doing about the same thing! unbelievably common in that area on Subaru's.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 02 Subaru VDC Sedan

Has anyone replaced a quarter panel, and if so, what is the cost to do this?
RRSH6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSH6 View Post
Has anyone replaced a quarter panel, and if so, what is the cost to do this?
the rear quarter panels are well over $500 each to repair at a shop. it's extremely labor intensive. they have to cut out the affected metal, weld in new patch panels (which aren't available for subaru so they have to make one or buy the entire rear quarter $$$$$). then they have to blend the weld, grind, prep, sand, paint.

do it yourself and it's $50 - $100 in parts. cut out a rear quarter from a good car, weld it in, and prep/paint with NAPA's colored matched paint in a spray can.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: