help- pulley problem! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default help- pulley problem!

hi all new here well heres the problem i was driving home and my crankshaft pully fell off so i got a new pully and timing gear and key took the covers off and now i am trying to install the gear and key the key is a half round does the flat end of the key go to the crankshaft or the gear and do i have to hold key in place and slide the gear over it or put gear on frist then the key
jimv1125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

1: Howdy and welcome to the forums.

2: I moved this thread to proper forum, this is not a Do It Yourself thread thus it does not belong in that forum.

3: I edited your title, "help" was a little too vague for anyone to know what to expect or on what subject matter. I.e- If your thread title is specific, then people who know about the issue will notice it much faster than just "help" which may will just ignore.

4: What car and engine are you talking about? Miles? Service history? Not enough information has been provided for us to help with your problem.

5: I'm having a really hard time reading your thread due to the lack of punctuation, are you asking how to install the new pulley?

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

its a 1999 outback 2.5 L when the crank pully fell off i got a new parts what i need to know is how does the keyway goes on.The crankshaft and timing gear.The keyway or woodruff key is half round.What i need to know is does the flat part of the key sit on the crankshaft or the rounded side.Also do i hold the key in place and slide the timing gear over it or do i put the gear on then try to the key in. This is not covered in my repair book
Old 10-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

The round end of the key goes in the slot on the crank then the timing gear goes on. when it is properly set, half of the key will be expased so that the crank pulley/balancer can key in also. Torque that bolt to spec if you don't want a repeat failure.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150

Quote:
Torque that bolt to spec if you don't want a repeat failure.
According to the factory service manual, torque spec on the crank bolt is 130 +/- 7 ft-lbs. I believe that at least one aftermarket manual (Haynes) has it at 90 ft-lbs ... this is wrong.
RobLog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

the *key* (pun intended) here is not the key. i've had completely mangled crank shafts that couldn't hold a key...because of the issue you're having now...that could no longer accept a key they were so bad. but if you crank it tight enough - it's not coming off. the key is unecessary, though i don't recommend it if you don't know what you're donig. i use a the socket wrench and a long 3 foot pipe and crank it REALLY tight. crank is iron and you'd have to try really hard to strip those threads.

key first, it stays in the crank. it might not accept it though if the crank is mangled, i've seen that multiple times.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: