2011 "growling" noise and vibration in turn - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2011 "growling" noise and vibration in turn

I have a 2011 Outback 2.5 w/ CVT. Since new, when I am making a sharp turn (around 90 degrees) and accelerating, I get a "growling" or "grunting" noise accompanied by vibration that can be felt in the seat. It lasts until I start to straighten out and goes away until the next turn. The noise and vibration is not present in a slow or gradual turn. Neither is it noticeable in a sharp turn without acceleration.
I have taken it to the dealer a couple of times. They tried "relearning" the transmission with no help.
The Service Manager could not explain it. The next time I took it in he drove several new Outbacks that were on the lot and said that they all did it to some degree. He said that he would check with his Subaru rep the next Monday and call me back. He never did. I called several times for a week and was finally told that he had told the Service Writer to tell me that the rep said that it was "normal".
Well. I have been a heavy equipment Service Manager for over 30 years and it doesn't sound or feel right to me. It feels like discs or clutches in the differential are slipping.
Maybe "normal" just means that they all do it.

Anybody got any experience with this type of noise and vibration on these?
Roadrunner1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have an 04 I JUST purchased two days ago and I noticed the same thing. Its my second Subaru in like 15 years but I sure don't remember this noise the last one I had! I'd be interested to find out what it is.
pso728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i Touring (SE) D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I seem to recall other posts about similar symptoms -- might be worth some searching, especially in the Gen 4 forum.

If it is "normal" (might have been more helpful if you had driven the dealer's cars), there might be an explanation for the symptom, although it doesn't make it right.

The CVT, like it's predecessor 4EAT, uses an electronically controlled, hydraulically activated, multi-plate clutch to transfer power to the rear. The hydraulic pressure on the clutch piston varies in accordance to number of parameters, including engine speed, vehicle speed, engine torque, and throttle position; in the latter case, the more advanced the throttle, the more pressure is applied.

When turning a sharp corner, the clutch has to be less than 100% engaged in order to accommodate the fact that the front wheels turn at a different speed than the rears. Most tight corners are negotiated at little or no throttle, so this combination works. But if the clutch remains fully engaged during cornering, as when accelerating (i.e. with much more throttle), the car could exhibit torque bind symptoms, which are the same as cornering in a 4WD vehicle with the transfer cases locked.

Throttle position for accelerating in a tight turn will depend, in part, on the gear the transmission is in at the time. With the 4EAT, there's only four gear ratios. But with the CVT they're infinite (unless Manual is selected). It might be possible that the CVT gear ratio at the time of the turn is such that for the same degree of acceleration, in some instances more throttle has to be applied leading to increased engagement of the transfer clutch and torque bind symptoms.

This might be verified by recording transmission control parameters with the Subaru Select Monitor while driving the car. The data might identify a high degree of clutch engagement combined with certain CVT ratios.

It might also be possible to test this theory by using the CVT's Manual control mode and selecting different gears when turning. Different gear ratios will require different throttle positions for the same acceleration, and if the symptoms appear when more throttle is needed to accelerate in only certain gears, it would tend to support the idea.

This will only verify if the AWD clutch seems to be engaged excessively when accelerating in a tight turn. The solution might be in changing the programming for the CVT gear settings, or modifying the relationship between the input parameters and clutch engagement. Both would require Subaru's involvement, but at least knowing what is happening might be a start.

Be interesting to find out if this is what is happening.
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: