Changing Clutch: pull engine or tranny - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Changing Clutch: pull engine or tranny

If you were changing a clutch on a Subaru, would you pull the engine or the tranny if you did not have a lift.
NWSub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback

Hmmm, interesting question...

The tranny is probably the easier of the two. But, I guess it depends on what you dislike more:

1. Tranny: working underneath and rusty exhaust bolts, or
2. Engine: bending over a lot and lots of labeling, notes, etc.

I think I'll still say tranny...

Good luck,
Wally
wallyblackburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

you could entertain the idea of sliding the trans back and rotating the engine forward...and maybe you could do it without officially pulling the engine all the way out or dropping the trans completely. it can be done on older subaru's, never heard of it on newer ones though.

nearly every one that does this job will say pull the engine. it's so much easier to work from above and have the room and not having rust and gear oil dripping on your face or shoes. and then the shimmy rocking dance of moving the trans under the car with no leverage or room.

but - pulling the trans *can* be quicker. there's far less components to remove, no antifreeze, power steering, or a/c to worry about like on an engine pull..oh and air hoses, vacuum hose, fuel lines, throttle cables... there's less to it and it's more straight forward. rusty exhaust is about the only tricky part but you gotta unbolt the exhaust from the engine to pull it as well so it's only 2 or 4 more bolts to pull the front exhaust ypipe for a trans pull.

yet....a transmission is no picnic to pull and install from underneath either. if you have help or are good at fabricating a way to support and maneuver the trans (2x4's and straps to hold it in place on a jack or borrow/rent a trans adapter/jack), then that's a huge help. i just installed one two weeks ago and used an engine lift with chain fished through the engine compartment to pull it up in place.

i've only ever done it by myself. and you can have a transmission out much faster than an engine. i've had trans out in 30 minutes before and regardless of the comments from folks that say they can do that with an engine - i would not consider 30 minute engine pulls anywhere near normal.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just did this by myself 4 weeks ago on my 02 outback wagon. I pulled the tranny. It was a relatively easy job. A few bolts were rusted here an there but nothing major. I recommend getting the rear end up on ramps and then the front end up on jack stands. Just take the entire exhaust off. 6 header bolts, 1 hanger bolt (mine broke), 3 rubber hangers. Disconnect the header bolts and then the hanger bolt. Then rest the exhaust on something a little lower. Then remove the hangers in the back and slide it out. I recommend replacing the header studs and nuts if they stay together. Ask the dealer for discount as they are wicked expensive (I got 6 studs and 6 nuts for $37).
I used my floor jack for the tranny lowering and lifting. A little finicky by worked alright.
Follow the guidance at this website. Everything is identical to this job. the trick with the jack to get the axles off works great.
DIY: Clutch Replacement pictorial - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
Took me 2 days.

Good luck!!
yellowmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: