Subaru Outback Forums banner

How to replace sunroof glass

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gbhrps 
#1 ·
I have a foot-long crack in the bigger of the two panels (the rear panel, the one that slides) on my 06 outback wagon. I think it happened when I was carrying a load of pipe on the roof.

I am a pretty good mechanic but never have worked on one of these sunroofs. Anyone have tips on replacing the panel?

#2 ·
The black covers close to the side should just pop off and if i remember correctly, there should be 4 nuts that need to come off and the entire panel should lift off no problem (make sure the front part is tilted up all the way to ensure you can lift the rear panel off). I hope that helps.

#3 ·
n88aw is correct. You'll find a plastic panel on each side of the sunroof that can be pulled off. Underneath will be the four fasteners (two on each side) that hold the glass in place. Unbolt each and the glass can be pushed up out of the roof opening. Be sure to keep track of any shims that may be in all four locations, and install them in the same locations with the new, used sunroof panel you located at a wreckers. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.