Rebuilt Power Steering Pump Not Working - At All - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Rebuilt Power Steering Pump Not Working - At All

Hi Folks. Hopefully you can give me some quick help.

Subaru Outback, 99 Legacy.

Power steering pump was leaking. Removed it, replaced all the seals, put it back together. The only thing I could not replace was the o-ring behind the connector for the flow control valve (because I could not get it to come free)

Power steering was working fine before rebuilt. Now I have zero power steering.

I have tried bleeding the system a lot. Put the front end on jacks, and cranked the wheel with the engine off probably a hundred times. We get a few small bubbles coming out when it cranked hard and fast to the end of the rack, and really no bubbles if we go slow. When we crank it fast to the end going right, there is a fluid noise at the rack. Air? Not sure.

Also tried cranking the wheel with the engine started a bunch. Drove it around the block a few times. No power assist at all. Very hard to steer.

Questions:

Did I put something together wrong? It turned free before I put it on, and has no bad sounds when running.

If there is still air in the system, would there be no power steering at all?

Is there some chance that the control valve could be the problem? I tried my best to get that off but it appears frozen in place. It worked fine before.

So, I am at a loss at what to do next. I don't want to tear the pump apart again unless that seems like what is wrong. First I would like to make sure it could not still be air in the system.

Thanks for your help.
subman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1995 Subaru Legacy L Sedan, 2003 Saturn Ion Level 2 Sedan

My power steering is also not working at all. I bought the car like this, and am wondering what it may be? I don't want to replace the pump unless necessary, and the same for the rack. I have put over $1,000 in parts in my 96 outback this year (2012) so I'm scraping the bottom. Any ideas?
rcote20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Everything is under pressure except from the tank to the pump. So, if it's sucking air, that's where it would be. Look in the tank while the car is idling. No bubbles or foam, no noise - not air related.

Did you use Dexron III or equivalent? i t may not work with 'generic' brake fluid - not sure on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: