3Likes
  • 2 Post By dukey33
  • 1 Post By KansasMatthew

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2014 traction loss on right turns

2014 Outback 2.5L engine w/ 33K.

When turning right with load on engine, eg slight uphill and/or heavy acceleration, the vehicle experience a traction slip along with a grating or grinding noise that sounds like it is coming from the back of the vehicle. I have experienced this on dry pavement. The traction loss indicator on the dash also flashes briefly. So far I only notice this on right turns.

It will be going to the dealer for service next week but I wanted to see if anyone had ideas what this might be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:41 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
axle problem?

odd

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Do you get a traction light flash on the dash? No light no traction loss. Rubbing tire on a loose mud flap?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Car: '13 2.5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyerod View Post
2014 Outback 2.5L engine w/ 33K.

When turning right with load on engine, eg slight uphill and/or heavy acceleration, the vehicle experience a traction slip along with a grating or grinding noise that sounds like it is coming from the back of the vehicle. I have experienced this on dry pavement. The traction loss indicator on the dash also flashes briefly. So far I only notice this on right turns.

It will be going to the dealer for service next week but I wanted to see if anyone had ideas what this might be.
You say you are seeing a traction light indicator: since that's the case, the car may be trying to compensate for a loss of traction on the right rear wheel by using the ABS and that might be the grating/grinding sound you hear. Are your tires in good shape and properly aired up?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:06 PM

Car: 2010 2.5 CVT Premium
This is exactly how we would get our dad's '76 Corolla to break loose the back tire when we were teenagers.

Cranking the steering right puts more resistance to forward motion.
The torque of the driveshaft rotation tends to lift the rear right tire.
As the car goes into a right-hand turn, the weight transfers to the left (centrifugal force), further unloading the right side tires.
Combining these was a easiest way to start doing donuts in a car with 75hp!

That said, it's not a complete surprise that traction light is going. Try angling the car into the turn so you have a straighter shot without having the steering wound up as much when first moving from a standstill. Lightly applying the accelerator when first starting motion would also help. Once moving, you can apply a healthy dose of go-pedal.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the responses. Tires were put on last September and properly inflated. This is a route I drive frequently and the slippage issue started about two weeks ago that I noticed. Looking into it a little yesterday the noise is the same as when I have traction issues on snow. I haven't changed my driving habits, I have been called an old man driver, so it seems strange that it would start losing traction on dry pavement.

"This is exactly how we would get our dad's '76 Corolla to break loose the back tire when we were teenagers."
Used this same technique to get cool points driving my mom's Chevy Malibu wagon back in the day
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
could you demonstrate the problem with a tech or service writer in the car? That would be better than just dropping the car off for service and telling them about this.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Car: '13 2.5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyerod View Post
Thank you for all the responses. Tires were put on last September and properly inflated. This is a route I drive frequently and the slippage issue started about two weeks ago that I noticed. Looking into it a little yesterday the noise is the same as when I have traction issues on snow. I haven't changed my driving habits, I have been called an old man driver, so it seems strange that it would start losing traction on dry pavement.
If it just started a couple weeks ago: Do you live in an area where road crews use a lot of sand in the winter? If you haven't had rain to wash it away, it will tend to collect on the right side of the lane and possibly be contributing to a loss of traction on right turns.
bob.oconnor.5030 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5 Premium w/Sunroof
Mine does the same thing. The traction control is a little too sensitive IMHO. I turn it off when I'm pulling out in to traffic from a stop. I do tend to drive it in a spirited manner, though.

Wayne aka "CigarSki"
South Jersey
2014 Outback Premium, 2.5 CVT w/sunroof, Carbide Gray
2010 Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours 14, KTRC/ABS
2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7 Full-time 4wd
2013 Axial Wraith
2016 Axial SCX10 II
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback
It is possible there is a loose wheel bearing and the ABS sensor flakes out under those conditions. Not really probable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: