filling fuel very slow - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 99 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5 5SPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default filling fuel very slow

I filled my 99 Outback Wagon several times with no issues. Then one day the fuel will only go in slowly, real slowly. The handle keeps clicking off like it's full but it'll take much more fuel to fill it to the top. Any ideas?
JoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Moved to correct forum.

These help?
Gas pump kicks off when filling
filler up please

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback

This can range from the simple to a huge pain...

Try disconnecting the hose from the vent valve to the charcoal canister where it connects to the canister. The canister is a black plastic box under the car behind the right rear wheel. The vent hose is the big one on the bottom.

If it fills easily with that hose disconnected, then your canister is plugged.

Try that and get back to us.

Good luck,
Wally
wallyblackburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

This has happened how many times ?

If once, it's more that likely the nozzle than your car. Pumps have a return vapor circuit to the tank so, should suck the vapor back and not prematurely trigger the pump shut off. If someone "tops off" their tank and fills the vapor circuit with liquid fuel, it won't work properly until it is cleared [basically WITHOUT the pump on, pull the trigger, shake nozzle as low to the ground as you can]
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 4 Outback wagons, from 1997 to 1999
Default slow fill too

I have a 1999 Legacy Outback wagon. It suffers from the incredibly slow fuel fill problem. One trickles in gas for about 15 minutes. I have the gas tank out, and the tank vent valve passes air easily through from the tank side to the larger vent tube. I don't know how the smaller tube should behave or how it should be tested. There is no sign of the float sticking.

I can't seem to get my cursor to behave properly.... so I will just ask if anyone has any suggestions or furthet test ideas.

thanks

Norm
Norm in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

As per post #3 above, there my be a problem with the actual charcoal canister. How many miles/kilometers on your car? Have you or the previous owner continued to pump gas (top it off) any after the pump has kicked off? - when it was working normally of course. It may be the purge valve in the canister.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 4 Outback wagons, from 1997 to 1999

Thanks

Do you have any ideas as to how I test the canister and the purge valve, while the tank is out? I assume that I should be able to blow into the large vapour tube that is currently disconnected from the canister, and have air flow freely into the canister. (did I mention that I would reconnect the hose first?)

As far as the gas filling habits of previous owners.... I have no idea. At least the float on the vent valve appears to be very good, so I would hope that it would stop the gas flow before it ran into the canister.

If the purge valve failed to work, I assume that there would be a vapour buildup in the canister, which would impede the venting of the tank and stop gas from flowing in? It looks like I need a test for that purge valve for sure.

help is greatly appreciated.

Norm
Norm in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: