heater fan/blower replacement - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default heater fan/blower replacement

I have a 2005 outback wagon. the heater fan/blower is going out I am wondering how difficult is this to replace and what does it involve, what is the cost for the unit and is it one piece or multiple pieces, I am looking at just replacing the motor or the fan and motor
subie_rafter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback LTD

subie_rafter,

If the fan is squealing its needs the motor replaced, simply because they are a non serviceable part.

If the fan operates on any one fan speed, the problem is not the motor, but the switch, but more likely the blower resistor.

The fan motor spins at high speed when fed a full 12 volts. To get the lower speeds, a multi stage blower resistor cuts the voltage down in steps, for each of the slower fan speeds. So, if your fan still works at any speed, then the motor is good, but the resistor may not be. Its very common for them to go, regardless of whose make of car it is. Sometimes the contacts in the switch go bad at one or more settings also.

To find out, remove the glove box and the lower panel below the glove box, on the passenger side. Dead centre of the blower motor housing is a 2 pin connector that powers the motor. Pull it and apply 12 volts from a battery to the pins and see if the motor spins at full speed. (Obviously, this isn't necessary if you already know that the motor operates.)

Follow that wiring harness you removed back to another 4 pin connector. Its the blower resistor. Two screws remove it, if its the culprit. An easy fix for sure. You can check it out to see if its giving the correct resistance across its 4 pins. If you get to this stage and need more info, send me a PM and I'll send you the service manual page for checking it out. Good Luck!
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

perhaps your car's cabin filter is blocked-up?

how is it failing exactly?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_rafter View Post
I have a 2005 outback wagon. the heater fan/blower is going out I am wondering how difficult is this to replace and what does it involve, what is the cost for the unit and is it one piece or multiple pieces, I am looking at just replacing the motor or the fan and motor
I had the exact issue, it's very easy to fix. starting in 2005, Subaru changed the orientaion of the fan motor from a horzontal mount to verticle, making it easier to service but susceptible to rusting. The way it is currently orientated it can sit with water in the motor/bearings.. it's drain is not the lowest point =(

To access the motor:
Remove the plastic panel directly under the glovebox. It just has three plastic push pins holding it on. The motor itself is now visible towards the right side, by the kickpanel. Remove it's plastic power plug. The motor is held in by three screws. The screws can be removed with a screwdriver or a socket. I would recommend the later since they will strip easy, and they are in awkward positions. The motor will now just drop out. Super easy compared to most vehicles, and even previous year suby's. Takes less than 10 minutes.

An new motor can be had here: https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/oe...d8c118995da72e

It ran me $147 including shipping.

Definitely do as others suggest and check the cabin filter. When I bought my car used, it looked as if the filter had never been changed. There was a solid inch of dirt and debris on the filter. I'm sure that contributed to the problem.
wrxtremest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: