2012 Outback 3.6R harsh shift - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hi Doc, good to see you are smiling again.:-)
1996 Honda CIvic EX
1994 Toyota Pick up ExCab
1991 Nissan KingCab SOLD
Road Bike for my Fitness time
"LIFE IS SHORT SO ENJOY IT"
USN (Ret)
EXMLowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback Ltd. 3.6R, Nav.

LenitaUllrich....Can I assume you had your dealer perform the "reprogram" service bulletin and the harsh shift was fixed?
Dr.Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default 2012 Outback 2.5i rough downshifting problems

Hey everyone,
I am a recent owner of a 2012 Outback 2.5i and I am having similar rough downshifting and lurching when off the gas. This is actually my second Outback in a month!! The first one I purchased was shifting so hard the dealership took it back(after some hassle) and put me in a new Outback. I am 800 miles into this one and at first the shifting problem was subtle, but it seems to be more pronounced now.
The service guys at the dealership did mention something about a programming issue with the computer controlled transmission in the 3.6, but said they had no information on the 2.5.
Does anyone know how to let Subaru know about this problem??

I would love to know of a resolution beyond flashing or resetting the computer.
Keep posting.

Thanks.
NorCalSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Cool

I can't speak for the CVT Outback....I think this is what your 2.5l car has...but I did drive a 2.0l Impreza while my 3.6R was in for a transmission change out.....and I can say the CVT transmission in the Impreza does have a definite "positive downshift" but I think this is the way Subaru has set up the transmission.
I did not find this operational nuance to be objectionable.....it was predictable and you always knew what "gear" it was in .....even though the CVT transmission does not have "gears" like a traditional transmission......call it a design feature Subaru has built into the CVT transmission to make it feel like a "normal" geared transmission.
Just my opinion.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default harsh downshifts

I am from Winnipeg Canada and recently purchased a 2013 3.6R and am experiencing harsh downshifts. I bought the car in Florida and am hoping my dealer in Winnipeg will be helpful. The first time they took it for a test ride the harsh downshifting didn't happen. I'm finding it happens only after I drive the car for maybe 5 minutes
renthegear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hi Renthegear,

Suggest the dealer in Winnipeg perform the factory reprogram service bulletin....that normally takes care of a harsh shift condition.....don't take any answer other than they will reprogram the shift points per the service bulletin.

My issue ended up being a faulty transmission......very rare as the 5 speed automatic has been in production for several years....is used in the Tribeca too.
In addition, I had a very pronounced "clunk" .
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Steelhead View Post
Hi Renthegear,

Suggest the dealer in Winnipeg perform the factory reprogram service bulletin....that normally takes care of a harsh shift condition.....don't take any answer other than they will reprogram the shift points per the service bulletin.

My issue ended up being a faulty transmission......very rare as the 5 speed automatic has been in production for several years....is used in the Tribeca too.
In addition, I had a very pronounced "clunk" .
Hi Dr. Steelhead

Thanks very much for the valuable info - I just spoke with my local Subaru Dealer and they said they are not aware of any service bulletin - I have an appointment on the 17th so I am hoping it will get resolved - I also have the clunk you spoke of
Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Harsh Downshift

Hi Renthegear,

If you look back to my 2-14-12 posting, I gave a brief description of my transmission problem.
During the diagnostic process, after the reprogram had been performed, my local Subaru dealer mechanic connected his laptop to my car's computer port......the test drive did not record any issues, however the mechanic verified my complaint as it was not a subtle down shifting clunk.

Tell your dealer to look back to 2011 - 2012, 3.6R transmission harsh down shift issues for the service bulletin to reprogram the shift points....or call Subaru technical....they are very aware of this issue.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Steelhead View Post
Hi Renthegear,

If you look back to my 2-14-12 posting, I gave a brief description of my transmission problem.
During the diagnostic process, after the reprogram had been performed, my local Subaru dealer mechanic connected his laptop to my car's computer port......the test drive did not record any issues, however the mechanic verified my complaint as it was not a subtle down shifting clunk.

Tell your dealer to look back to 2011 - 2012, 3.6R transmission harsh down shift issues for the service bulletin to reprogram the shift points....or call Subaru technical....they are very aware of this issue.
Thanks again - the dealer is looking into it - I will keep you posted
Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Default harsh downshifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthegear View Post
Thanks again - the dealer is looking into it - I will keep you posted
I just got back from our Subaru Dealer and they performed the Software Update - unfortunately no improvement - not sure what to do next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: