2001 OB Thermostat Replacement - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2001 OB Thermostat Replacement

I've a 2001 Outback with the 4 cylinder engine. The lower radiator hose was leaking at the radiator so I thought I'd try replacing it and do the thermostat while I"m at it! There's a few details I wanted to check on to do this:

- the hose has an arrow on it but I'm not sure which way the water flows - does it come out of the bottom of the radiator?

- the thermo and gasket are OEM. The gasket seems to have a slot in it to fit around the rim of the thermostat. Is that right or does it just go between the termo and the housing?

- one of the bolts on the thermostat housing was very sticky and wound up breaking when I had the bolt loosened. I think I can get it off as there is a bit sticking out. The bolt goes into the water pump which looks to be aluminum. Is there any particular kind of bolt I should replace it with? Should I put anti-seize on these bolts, loctitle or nothing?

Thanks for the help! Just want to make sure I get this back together right with no leaks while I'm on the road...
perdu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

The coolant comes out the bottom of the radiator and goes to the water pump suction. The arrow on the hose is just to help get it in the right orientation; the hose doesn't care which direction the coolant flows, but it won't fit quite right if it is in backwards.

Yes, the thermostat gasket goes onto the thermostat around that lip sort of like a bracelet.

The bolts holding on the thermo housing are small and long, and that means they're easy to break/shear as you found out. I almost always use new bolts whenever I remove them, and yes coat them liberally with antisieze, especially the end where it goes into the water pump. You can probably drill it out of the water pump. If I remember correctly, the other end of the water pump is open/accessible, so if you had to you could maybe drill it out a little larger, and just use a longer bolt with a nut on the end. Yes the water pump is aluminum. Do not use loctite on those bolts! They don't need it and it will almost guarantee they will snap off the next time.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

More info in this thread:
Draining and Replacing Coolant and Thermostat

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Got it all done, thanks! Had to drill the broken bolt out but was able to put in a 30 mm bolt and get a nut on the other side. Everything seems to be holding but I haven't driven the car yet as I've just realized there's a major exhaust leak. Trying to decide if I want to tackle that myself or not ...

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am curious was the bolt replaced on the passenger side?
did you have to do any extra work to do the bolt?
Mine is a 2002 and the hole is partially stripped
new2subby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

It was on the passenger side. It took some doing to get a nut on the other end - but it seems to be holding up! I had drilled out the old bolt and there was some thread left but I wasn't sure if it would hold without something on the other side.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is there a rubber seal around the thermostat and a gasket on the housing? My 2001 was leaking so I made a gasket out of gasket material and it seemed to hold for months but just started dripping.
jryan2492 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150

There is supposed to be a rubber seal around the thermostat ... that is the only gasket for both the 'stat and the housing. The seal is round and the inner surface is split so it wraps around the flange of the 'stat.
RobLog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Trying to decide if I want to tackle that myself or not .
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150

It's pretty easy. The most difficult part for most is getting the air purged out of the system. If you haven't already, look at the DIY thread in my sig for some pointers.
RobLog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: