High mileage H6 owners? Whats your secret? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default High mileage H6 owners? Whats your secret?

Looking for some advice from some high mileage outback H6 owners. Recently purchased an 06 LL bean 3.0 with 56K and I'd like to get this thing to 300 if possible

Also, hows the tranny holding up? Should I be worried about tranny/engine mounts and will I ever have to replace the timing chain?
kawasakiguy37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cheesehead

Car: '03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl

Mine is now past 220k miles and going strong. I'm planning to go at least 400k !

Give it all of the specified services. Major ones every 30K miles, and the in-between oil changes. Mine likes synthetic fluids, especially the tranny (Royal Purple). I run Mobil1 in the engine. Listen to it. It will talk to you when it needs something.

Don't abuse it. Simple stuff. Don't do just short trips. Keep it clean under the hood, so you can see if something is happening that might need attention. Easy on the accelerations when possible. In the summer, i regularly get 28+mpg. Driving style accounts for about 3 mpg of that 28.

The chain should never fail, but the guides are plastic. But if kept properly lubed with regularly changed oil, they should go a long long time. Mine uses no oil.

Tranny/engine mounts have never been a issue.

Finally replaced my second axle shaft about a month ago. The first was a year ago. Both fronts.

No magic. Just basic good care.
wilsonhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonhp View Post
Mine is now past 220k miles and going strong. I'm planning to go at least 400k !

Give it all of the specified services. Major ones every 30K miles, and the in-between oil changes. Mine likes synthetic fluids, especially the tranny (Royal Purple). I run Mobil1 in the engine. Listen to it. It will talk to you when it needs something.

Don't abuse it. Simple stuff. Don't do just short trips. Keep it clean under the hood, so you can see if something is happening that might need attention. Easy on the accelerations when possible. In the summer, i regularly get 28+mpg. Driving style accounts for about 3 mpg of that 28.

The chain should never fail, but the guides are plastic. But if kept properly lubed with regularly changed oil, they should go a long long time. Mine uses no oil.

Tranny/engine mounts have never been a issue.

Finally replaced my second axle shaft about a month ago. The first was a year ago. Both fronts.

No magic. Just basic good care.
I agree with everything that's been said here. No secrets, just normal maintenance. It will return the favor.

I only have 115k on my H6 and it's caused me no problems. I don't know how many there really are over 200k because at most they're 11 years old. Many of the oldest ones are probably just hitting that mark.

There's a guy on here with a Gen3 H6 pushing 400k miles. IIRC, I don't think it ever had any major issues...gives me hope that mine will last a long time yet. Maybe he'll chime in.

New one:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport
Bone Stock for Now
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

there are two H6 specific tips:

1. change oil regularly. always true, but particularly so on this timing chain equipped joker.

2. change/check your serpentine idler and tensioner pulley bearings. they fail all the time. the bearings are $3 and take a matter of minutes to replace, it's an easy job. or cheat and get the DAYCO pulley for $10 at any autoparts store that works just fine, or buy the overpriced Subaru part.

and of course as with any vehicle change the transmission and differential fluids. truthfully it doesn't matter what fluids you use - just change them at some point.

i have two,one with 150,000. another just rolled 190,000 yesterday and i got it with 120,000.

not much to it, i plan on having mine for a long time. at 190,000 and i've never changed the diff or power steering fluids whoops. i'll be getting around to those shortly, they're on the list. i have checked the levels, those are fine.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Any other preventive maintenance I could do on this car? Control arm bushings or anything like that ever an issue?

Ill look into the tensioner bearings soon
kawasakiguy37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
there are two H6 specific tips:

1. change oil regularly. always true, but particularly so on this timing chain equipped joker.

2. change/check your serpentine idler and tensioner pulley bearings. they fail all the time. the bearings are $3 and take a matter of minutes to replace, it's an easy job. or cheat and get the DAYCO pulley for $10 at any autoparts store that works just fine, or buy the overpriced Subaru part.

and of course as with any vehicle change the transmission and differential fluids. truthfully it doesn't matter what fluids you use - just change them at some point.

i have two,one with 150,000. another just rolled 190,000 yesterday and i got it with 120,000.

not much to it, i plan on having mine for a long time. at 190,000 and i've never changed the diff or power steering fluids whoops. i'll be getting around to those shortly, they're on the list. i have checked the levels, those are fine.
Gary--at those mileages have you ever touched the timing chain/guides/tensioners? Just curious...lots of people seem to be positive that at least the guides/tensioners need maintenance at some point, but I've had other timing chain engines with well over 200k on them without any issues. Haven't even thought about the chain on mine yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakiguy37 View Post
Any other preventive maintenance I could do on this car? Control arm bushings or anything like that ever an issue?

Ill look into the tensioner bearings soon
The tensioner bearing thing *might* not be an issue at all in a 2006. IIRC, it was supposed to have been corrected by MY2004. I could be wrong, though.

New one:
Bone Stock for Now
Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
Gary--at those mileages have you ever touched the timing chain/guides/tensioners?
no. i wouldn't consider them maintenance items - just a low failure rate item that you might need to address if you start hearing noises. it is definitely rare to just have one 'let loose', if i've heard of that it was one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
.lots of people seem to be positive that at least the guides/tensioners need maintenance at some point
that's what gets posted online and talked about. the people hitting 200,000 miles without a glitch are not talking or posting on line. it's a bit skewed and hard to accurately assess, i would not call guides/tensioners common issues...yes it does happen and i believe is more prevalent on like 01's....or something like that.

i bought one of mine at 125,000 miles and it had timing chain noise under hard acceleration. it was also wrecked and salvaged title, i rebuilt it. i have done nothing to the motor and it now has 190,000 miles. i've thought about doing the guides/tensioners but then again i've made it this far and as busy as I am it might just have to stay that way or break before i get into it! maybe this summer...
Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
no. i wouldn't consider them maintenance items - just a low failure rate item that you might need to address if you start hearing noises. it is definitely rare to just have one 'let loose', if i've heard of that it was one time.

that's what gets posted online and talked about. the people hitting 200,000 miles without a glitch are not talking or posting on line. it's a bit skewed and hard to accurately assess, i would not call guides/tensioners common issues...yes it does happen and i believe is more prevalent on like 01's....or something like that.

i bought one of mine at 125,000 miles and it had timing chain noise under hard acceleration. it was also wrecked and salvaged title, i rebuilt it. i have done nothing to the motor and it now has 190,000 miles. i've thought about doing the guides/tensioners but then again i've made it this far and as busy as I am it might just have to stay that way or break before i get into it! maybe this summer...
Thanks for the reply! I guess I won't plan on messing with mine unless I start hearing noises. My thinking has always been that Subaru has no maintenance intervals on it for a reason--plus the other vehicles that I or friends/relatives have had with over 200k and no timing chain issues.

In regard to the OP: All in all I'm very glad I went with the H6 over the H4. Even putting the extra power aside (which is the main reason I bought it), it is a much better engine. I don't think you'll regret it!

New one:
Bone Stock for Now
Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

yeah, even with 3-4-5 quirks - our 03 H6 is a pleasure to own and drive.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mine is now past 220k miles and going strong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: