Quick question: does unplugging the battery reset anything that the dealer must fix? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Quick question: does unplugging the battery reset anything that the dealer must fix?

If I unplug the ground to work on the car, will anything need to be reset like a radio code or the remote unlock/lock? Thanks.
SubaruMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruMN View Post
If I unplug the ground to work on the car, will anything need to be reset like a radio code or the remote unlock/lock? Thanks.
Nope.

The radio, trip odometer, and computer will reset but that won't affect keyless entry or anything.

Also, in most states with emissions testing it won't pass until the computer reports everything as "ready," but it should do that within 100 miles or so.

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean Edition No Nav, "Senior Citizen Gold" (Harvest Gold)
OEM Hitch | OEM Subwoofer | Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S | Window Tint | Black Carpet Swap
KYB Excel-G Struts ('04 Spec Rear, '05-'09 Spec Front) | Primitive 3/16" Front Skid Plate
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply. I may now proceed.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

There isn't anything on my car that I'll ever allow a dealer to "fix" ;]

If something goes wonky on you, let us know, we've probably done the same thing and figured it out.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah you guys are the best. Saved me a ton of money and taught me a lot about Subaru maintenance.

Presently I'm trying to change my front/upstream oxygen sensor and can't get the bolt holding the sensor in place out for the life of me. It just won't break loose. Currently soaking it overnight in a bath of PB Blaster.... If it doesn't work tomorrow then I think I'll be forced to take it in.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

If it's badly rusted, use a relatively fine wire brush to clean up the spot where the sensor meets the bung [yeah I know, but that's what it's called ;]. Soak with PB

What Are you using, a O2 sensor socket ? or a closed wrench ?

I've had good luck with rusted ones by giving the wrench a good smack with a deadblow hammer ... breaks the initial rust bond and, that's what's giving you trouble. The issue most of the time is getting a good swing at the wrench.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 07 2.5i

Warming it up a bit can help free a stuck O2 sensor. Run the engine for a minute and try again. Be careful, things can get hot enough to burn you.
ron917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Got it to break free! Thanks for all the help. That was very tough. I think soaking it overnight in PB Blaster did the trick. That stuff is amazing. It is complicated by the the very tight quarters. If I could just walk up and stick my breaker bar on there it would be a piece of cake. But it is VERY tight. I was actually about to give up and then tried my little socket wrench and it worked. Couldn't believe it. I think I just didn't have a good angle with the breaker bar. Now I just worry I horsed the new one down too tight. I tightened it with the socket wrench and then tried my torque wrench and believe it or not was able to get it in there, and it was already at 15 ft-lbs (which I read was the right torque). I did not play with fire and try to loosen it and retighten with the torque wrench. I also put a lot of Loctite anti-seize on there. A little came on it but I coated it.

Now, returning to the original topic, as soon as I turned the car back on (battery unplugged for 36 hours or so) the check engine light stayed on. I thought the computer would have reset. Does this mean that it or something else is already broken? I'm going to swing by Advance Auto and wipe the computer and see what it reads tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: