Steering Wheel Shaking - Help? - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Did you ever rotate the tires to see if that moves the problem around? This may give you a lot of answers as to if the problem is the wheel/tire.
RedRotors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2008 2.5i Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihogan View Post
How much would it be to replace the front struts? Can I do it myself? I didn't notice any noise from the bearings and I have yet to check the looseness of the wheel when jacked. The tires are almost brand new so I assumed they were okay but I will have to have them checked too.

I think I'll go to my mechanic and explain all of this to him when i get it inspected in June. Maybe he can figure it out?
I don't know the cost of front struts, but based on your postings I hesitate to suggest that you try to DIY. Why wait until June to see your mechanic? BTW, you might try jacking up the front end and spinning each of the tires by hand. Look closely and try to see if they are out of round.
tirolerpeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRotors View Post
Did you ever rotate the tires to see if that moves the problem around? This may give you a lot of answers as to if the problem is the wheel/tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirolerpeter View Post
I don't know the cost of front struts, but based on your postings I hesitate to suggest that you try to DIY. Why wait until June to see your mechanic? BTW, you might try jacking up the front end and spinning each of the tires by hand. Look closely and try to see if they are out of round.
I've tried all this and can't seem to find anything that seems abnormal or out of place. Rotating the tires did not change it. I would wait til June because I can't afford to be out of a car right now.
Mihogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

Nobody said to check ball joints and tie rod ends? Both of those will case a vibration while driving that will get more violent under braking. Also, jack the car up and check that you don't have a caliper with a seized slider pin. That will cause a vibration as the brakes on the offendeng wheel heat up.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Outback AWP 2.5 - 2005 Outback L.L.Bean 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagondude View Post
Nobody said to check ball joints and tie rod ends? Both of those will case a vibration while driving that will get more violent under braking. Also, jack the car up and check that you don't have a caliper with a seized slider pin. That will cause a vibration as the brakes on the offendeng wheel heat up.
+1 on the tie rod ends.

My wife's '01 had horrible inner tie rod ends along with very warped rotors when we first got it. Trust me, it was a harrowing experience if you ever had to slow from 55 to 0 in a hurry!

I did all the work myself, but if I had it to do over again I would let the dealership do the tie rods. (You need like three hands to get one of the inner tie rod boots on, but the other one was easy enough though.)

Starting with the rotors is a good idea, as if it isn't fixed with that you can move towards the more expensive fixes. It always sucks when you replace tie rods and it really turned out to be a wheel bearing or something else!
T_swensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_swensen View Post
+1 on the tie rod ends.

My wife's '01 had horrible inner tie rod ends along with very warped rotors when we first got it. Trust me, it was a harrowing experience if you ever had to slow from 55 to 0 in a hurry!

I did all the work myself, but if I had it to do over again I would let the dealership do the tie rods. (You need like three hands to get one of the inner tie rod boots on, but the other one was easy enough though.)

Starting with the rotors is a good idea, as if it isn't fixed with that you can move towards the more expensive fixes. It always sucks when you replace tie rods and it really turned out to be a wheel bearing or something else!
How would I check the tie-rod ends? And the wheel bearings? What should I be looking for?

Thank you guys for the help
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Well, I jacked up the Sube today and tried to look under it, though I had no idea what to look for, haha...

regarding what I think is the tie rod, it looks one of the joints (i think?) that connect to each wheel was messed up. One side looked normal - dry, moved but not too easily, just normally. The other side, though, was covered in a thick grease/grime, and seemed too loose, as though it was moving on that joint too easily. Mean anything? Ball joints themselves seemed okay, I remember what a bad ball joint felt like on my Jeep, haha..

Any ideas?

Also, update on all the other problems: In three weeks, my mechanic is going to replace the head gaskets, water pump, timing belt, clutch, and try to fix this problem with the shaking wheel.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Legacy SUS Ltd, BGM, 4EAT

I de/re-mounted one of the front wheels a couple days ago and the vibrations seemed to ease up for me. Will try the other and see if it clears up; willing to blame the impact guns' excess torque for now (or lack of - I could tighten w/o any effort with the lug wrench).
Does anyone specify some symptoms to look at with the suspension, tie rods, joints, etc. while jacked up? Wiggling the wheel only seems have a bit of steering play, and makes no noise.

airlia101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlia101 View Post
I de/re-mounted one of the front wheels a couple days ago and the vibrations seemed to ease up for me. Will try the other and see if it clears up; willing to blame the impact guns' excess torque for now (or lack of - I could tighten w/o any effort with the lug wrench).
I wish that worked for me - I tried that along with switching tires around and it was a no-go

Quote:
Does anyone specify some symptoms to look at with the suspension, tie rods, joints, etc. while jacked up? Wiggling the wheel only seems have a bit of steering play, and makes no noise.
Yes, I would appreciate this too. I'm hoping my mechanic can figure it out but if I can first I'd have it that way
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22

it there a standard tool i can use to clean up the mating surface of the lug nuts. i'm finding it more and more difficult to get the nuts to seat evenly and equality.

suggestions?
canubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: