1999 Subaru Outback Issues - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Car: 1999 Subaru Outback 2.5L
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 Subaru Outback Issues

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could make sense of some issues I've been having with my car. 3 months ago the CEL came on and it threw like 5 codes including misfire on 1+2 and various emissions codes. Then, about a month later the idle got choppy when at a stop, and my cruise control and fog lights wouldn't work. I thought this was strange, and a buddy of mine ran a full seafoam treatment through the car. The idle has stabilized, and cruise control and the fogs have mysteriously come back.... Now the car just seems to be eating way too much gas. It's a 5 speed and in 5th gear its turning about 3,500 rpm doing 75 on I-89, so it's burning through a lot of gas. I've got unequal length Borla Headers, a Weapon R Intake and a full catback so mileage should have increased, but to no avail. I got the codes run again today and they read as follows,

Misfire on Cylinder 1 PO301
Misfire on Cylinder 2 PO302
EVAP Pressure Switch Error PO453

So, it's less than before and from our own troubleshooting, the Cylinders are not having a total misfire, but it may be a matter of timing, or plugs. No clue about the EVAP code though. The rough idle before sounded like a vacuum leak, which we thought had something to do with the pressure error. Now I am simply confused. The car's still wicked quick, but I really want to track this down. You guys have any solid ideas or know where I could bring it? I'm not big on getting screwed over in a shop, since I've seen the inside of one so I am a little weary. Let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
If I had to pick a single cause for these it would be electrical. bad ground or bad cell in battery or intermittent alt or ???

Otherwise, there may be 2-3 different issues going on.

If you post your location, someone may be able to suggest a mechanic.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 AM

Car: 2009 Outback 2.5i SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisnipe7 View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could make sense of some issues I've been having with my car. 3 months ago the CEL came on and it threw like 5 codes including misfire on 1+2 and various emissions codes. Then, about a month later the idle got choppy when at a stop, and my cruise control and fog lights wouldn't work. I thought this was strange, and a buddy of mine ran a full seafoam treatment through the car. The idle has stabilized, and cruise control and the fogs have mysteriously come back.... Now the car just seems to be eating way too much gas. It's a 5 speed and in 5th gear its turning about 3,500 rpm doing 75 on I-89, so it's burning through a lot of gas. I've got unequal length Borla Headers, a Weapon R Intake and a full catback so mileage should have increased, but to no avail. I got the codes run again today and they read as follows,

Misfire on Cylinder 1 PO301
Misfire on Cylinder 2 PO302
EVAP Pressure Switch Error PO453

So, it's less than before and from our own troubleshooting, the Cylinders are not having a total misfire, but it may be a matter of timing, or plugs. No clue about the EVAP code though. The rough idle before sounded like a vacuum leak, which we thought had something to do with the pressure error. Now I am simply confused. The car's still wicked quick, but I really want to track this down. You guys have any solid ideas or know where I could bring it? I'm not big on getting screwed over in a shop, since I've seen the inside of one so I am a little weary. Let me know!

My 1999 Outback's CEL came on one night just as I left work on my way home - nothing seemed to be wrong with it. Took it to the dealer next day and it turned out the filler tube that goes into the gas tank had rusted through and had to be replaced. At the time it had over 100,000 miles on it.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 AM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mileage?
Have the plugs/wires ever been changed?

Cylinder misfires - those are typically really simple:

1. spark plugs
2. plug wires

your particular engine performs best with Subaru wires and OEM NGK plugs. it's not unheard of for these engines to throw misfire codes with brand new aftermarket wires.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: