Hill holder - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 04Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to hurricane3 Send a message via AIM to hurricane3 Send a message via Yahoo to hurricane3
Default Hill holder

We just bought a new Outback Limited with the CRV transmission.Our driveway is very steep and the hiil holder only seems to work part of the time.
It seems most times when I put the hiil holder on with the transmission in D either the brake light doesn't come on till you shift through the other gear positions ,or when you take off the hill holder (which I realise is the parking brake) will not release unless you manually release the parking brake.
Other times if you release the hill holder with your foot on the gas the vehicle pulls right off.I know your foot has to be on the brake to activate the parking brake and hill holder, and also has to be on the brake to release the parking brake, but shouldn't the hill holder release after you push the button again and give it gas?
It does seem like this only happens on very steep hills,(like my driveway).
Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium

There are certain requirements for hill holder to activate. First of all is that the feature needs to be turned on prior to reaching the hill. I think you also have to be going a certain speed in order for it to activate (my manual is in the car, downstairs, and the Subaru site isn't cooperating to let me view it).

As far as the parking brake itself. NO, the service brake does NOT have to be in use in order to have the auto-release of the brake. Put the vehicle in gear and tap the gas, the only other requirement is that the driver is buckled up.

Hill holder may not release when you PUSH the button, you may need to PULL the button, but it should also release with a tap of the gas (mine does).
hallux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

This may be a stupid question...but doesn't the term "hill holder" only apply to a manual transmission and not the CVT of the OP?

CVT not CRV by the way...unless your have a Toyota under your Outback somewhere...

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to hurricane3 Send a message via AIM to hurricane3 Send a message via Yahoo to hurricane3
Default Now I am confused

If you put the hill holder on before you reach the hill ,the brake light on the dash and the parking brake light on the parking brake button both illumanate , they always do ,this would put on your parking brake and your your brakes would be dragging and I would think this would be like driving with the parking brake on.
Also I've tried giving it gas and the vehicle won't move till I release the parking brake.I didn't know you could pull out the hill holder button.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default sorry your right

Yes it is CVT not CRV ,I get easily confused.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium

You don't pull out on the hill holder button, you pull out on the parking brake button. I've had my OB for 8 months now, i don't recall the thresholds but I know how the functions work.

Hill holder. Push the button either when you start driving or at any time before you reach the hill, stop on the hill and the brake will engage. When you want to start moving again, just tap the gas the brake releases.

Brake, once engaged it will release with a tap of the gas (pulling the brake "button" from the bottom will also release), but it requires the driver be buckled in. I have a decent hill leading to my garage, I use my parking brake on a regular basis.

I know this stuff is explained in the manual. I just can't copy and paste it right now since the online manual isn't working.

AWDFTW, all of the 4th-gen OB's have hill holder.
hallux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
AWDFTW, all of the 4th-gen OB's have hill holder.
You kids and your new fangled contraptions.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default ok got it now

I read the manual but didn't remember what it said. Thankyou for straightning me out . I think I've got it now.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: