Warning lights - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warning lights

My wife and I were driving in Louisiana on our way back to Texas when my OB jumped out of cruise and I got a CHECK ENGINE light, a VEHICLE DYNAMICS CONTROL light, a flashing BRAKE light, and a flashing CRUISE light. We checked the owner's manual which told us that it was okay to drive except for the BRAKE light, which could mean a malfunctioning electronic parking brake. I checked the OB out on a side road and everything seemed okay, so we came on home without the cruise control. On Monday morning, I took it to the dealer. It took him an hour to find and fix the problem. It was the evaporator canister in the emission control system. The service manager told me that all those lights came on to get my attention. Was he mistaken? If not, getting a lot of warning lights for an unrelated problem could be dangerous. If I had opted to be towed to a dealership and waited for two days in a motel without wheels for a relatively minor problem, I would have been just a tad miffed. Has anyone else run into a similar incident?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Others have reported lighting up the dash because of a leaky/loose rubber seal on the gas cap.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 PM

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
I've heard that for certain model years the cruise light will flash and cruise control will be disabled to "encourage" drivers to get it looked at. I believe the VDC system may also be disabled, but I'm not certain about that. I have no idea about the brake light.

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

My Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4

Immediate Family Has (and I work on):
2004 Outback Base 5MT Wagon
2001 Outback Limited H4 Sedan
1998 Legacy GT Wagon (Auto)
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.
CEL always disables cruise control, and has on every vehicle I've had made past 1995 or so. It is saying "Fix me!"

Also, any major autoparts store in the US (OP does not list location) will read codes for free.

2003 Outback wagon: "Kaylee". 144,000 and counting.
Basics: Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30, PureOne oil filter, Fram air filter, Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF, Mobil 1 75W90, Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Mods: 2004 Forester XT shift knob, Fumoto oil drain valve, Phillips VisionPlus low beams, Phillips HIR1 high beam upgrade, Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K fog lights.

Also: More rust than I care to think about.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
It is quite possible that they flash like a christmas tree to get your attention. The Parking Brake light is a new one on me, but if the dealer made everything all happy no reason to doubt him.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

The service manager said it was to get my attention, and it worked. I guess they're trying to make the warning system idiot proof. I just think the warning should be related to problem. An evap. canister due for replacement shouldn't necessitate three lights for three unrelated systems. Seems like the little boy who cried "Wolf" to me. What am I to believe the next time I get a flashing BRAKE light? I'm low on windshield water?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
A CEL doesn't necessarily disable the cruise control. At least it doesn't on my '02 Audi. And as far at the display showing multiple warning lights, that's more of a matter of poor ECM programming. Subaru should be hung out to dry, IMO, for marketing such a badly-engineered system.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.
Completely disagree.

CEL has automatically disabled CC since the mid 1990's in Subaru vehicles, and dis the same in my Fords as well. but as for other lights...I think Subaru expects most people ignore dash lights (true in my experience) and tries REALLY hard to get people to have a vehicle looked at when something throws a code.

The amount of vehicles I have been in with some or multiple warning lights on is staggering. Most folks don't seem to notice and/or care.

2003 Outback wagon: "Kaylee". 144,000 and counting.
Basics: Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30, PureOne oil filter, Fram air filter, Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF, Mobil 1 75W90, Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Mods: 2004 Forester XT shift knob, Fumoto oil drain valve, Phillips VisionPlus low beams, Phillips HIR1 high beam upgrade, Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K fog lights.

Also: More rust than I care to think about.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Car: 2012 OB 2.5 Limited CVT Satin White, Nav, Roof, bodyside moldings, rear bumper underguard, 3M Paint Protection
FWIW, on my 2011 Malibu fleet vehicle, a CEL actually de-powers the engine into something akin to a limp mode.

Now, this can be reset simply by shutting down and restarting the engine; though if you don't have the problem addressed, it'll happen again in the future......and you don't exactly know when. I've actually had this happen to me at a stop light, which can put the driver in a fairly precarious situation if traffic happens to be heavy (which was the case for me most recently).

Believe me, it's a very effective motivation for an owner to get a CEL addressed.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Salti View Post
My wife and I were driving in Louisiana on our way back to Texas when my OB jumped out of cruise and I got a CHECK ENGINE light, a VEHICLE DYNAMICS CONTROL light, a flashing BRAKE light, and a flashing CRUISE light. We checked the owner's manual which told us that it was okay to drive except for the BRAKE light, which could mean a malfunctioning electronic parking brake. I checked the OB out on a side road and everything seemed okay, so we came on home without the cruise control. On Monday morning, I took it to the dealer. It took him an hour to find and fix the problem. It was the evaporator canister in the emission control system. The service manager told me that all those lights came on to get my attention. Was he mistaken? If not, getting a lot of warning lights for an unrelated problem could be dangerous. If I had opted to be towed to a dealership and waited for two days in a motel without wheels for a relatively minor problem, I would have been just a tad miffed. Has anyone else run into a similar incident?
This exact thing happened to me tonight on my way home. Four different warning lights: Brake, Cruise, VDC and Check Engine. I have a 2012 OB with 45,000 on it. This has never happened to me before with ANY car. This is my first Subaru.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: