New front differential drain plug gasket 803926090 - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

The CVT has a similar style drain plug for the front differential, but according to a diagram in the 2010 Outback FSM, it's placed differently on the case. The whole transmission case, from the bell housing back, is new. I couldn't verify if it uses the . . .090 gasket using on-line catalogues, and the service manual doesn't even have information on changing the front differential gear oil on the CVT -- in fact, it doesn't have a dipstick for either the front differential or the transmission itself. The 2010 Outback FSM does, however, show the torque spec for that front differential drain plug at 70 N-m.

For the 5EAT, which is still used in the 2010+ with the 6-cylinder engine, the instructions for changing the front differential gear oil don't refer to different gaskets; there's only the one 70 N-m spec. But for the 6-speed manual transmission, the same three specs (44, 70, and 70 N-m) are indicated (same as for the 2010 Forester 4EAT front differential).

And going back to the 2010 Forester FSM, it lists the same 3 different gaskets for both the AT front differential and the MT drain.

Sort of interesting that Subaru refers to aluminum, copper, then metal. As if the first two aren't metal. It does, however, fit the difference between non-ferrous and ferrous materials.

I do hope that SCI will respond, but I'm becoming less optimistic as time goes on. But in the meantime it's looking more and more as if the "black" gasket in the later FSMs is the 090, with the 51 ft-lb spec, and this is being used on all the front differentials and MT drains where the 070 was used before.

By the way, in an earlier post you wrote that at 32 ft-lbs the drain plug was leaking a bit. Was this with one of the new black gaskets? I wonder if 32 isn't enough. Or has it stopped?
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
Sort of interesting that Subaru refers to aluminum, copper, then metal. As if the first two aren't metal. It does, however, fit the difference between non-ferrous and ferrous materials.

just an aside but, could be poor translation. I was once shopping for a faceting machine and the Imahashi brochure I had referred to a part as being made from "stainless steel aluminum" . hah!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback PZEV
Send a message via Yahoo to priyadar

Plain OM,

Thank you for all the information on CVT and the three gaskets. With all the information, now I am leaning towards 50Nm (36.878 ft-lb) figure for the tightening torque.

Quote:

By the way, in an earlier post you wrote that at 32 ft-lbs the drain plug was leaking a bit. Was this with one of the new black gaskets? I wonder if 32 isn't enough. Or has it stopped?
Yes, it is with the new 803926090 black gasket. As I mentioned, I torqued down to 32 fl-lb and the last time I observed that I could see Subaru Extra-S transmission fluid leaking a very small amount from the drain plug. Since my torque is less than 36.9 ft-lb, I can go back and tighten the drain plug a bit and see if it stops leaking completely. This leak, however, is so small that I do not see any drop in the dip stick at all.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadar View Post
. . . Thank you for all the information on CVT and the three gaskets. With all the information, now I am leaning towards 50Nm (36.878 ft-lb) figure for the tightening torque. . . .
I strongly suspect that the proper torque is 70 N-m (51 ft-lbs), as found for the "black metal" gasket in the later FSMs. In this regard, if the drain plug threads could sustain 51 ft-lbs with the copper gasket, they should be able to do it with any other gasket.

I'll probably go ahead with the annual gear oil changes in the next few days, at which time I'll check the old copper gasket with the magnet, just to be sure it's not just copper-coated.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car: '05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift

Hey, the one I thought I tossed, the OEM copper gasket, I found in with my tools, it is solid copper, a magnet does NOT affect it at all!

So, the 51 lbs/ft is for solid copper!
Saint J VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #26 (permalink)

Great! We have that question out of the way.

Looks as if 51 ft-lbs is the spec for the new "black" gaskets on the front differential and the MT drain plugs. At least at this point, I see it that way, but would still like more formal confirmation.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #27 (permalink)

Mine is still as dry as can be underneath that drain plug! I had to buy a 1/2" ratchet T-70 Torx bit to remove the plug, and it was extremely tight, needed a breaker bar on it.

I used the torque wrench when installing the new copper washer and plug. Since the plug had a lot of rust on it, I ran it through my bench grinder that has a course wire brush on one side, then spray painted the visible portion of plug.

Winters wreak havoc with anything that will rust or corrode in this climate.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

I changed the differential fluids, using the "new" spec for the black gasket. I kept the used copper one as a reference. (As usual, I torqued to somewhat less because the threads are "wet" whereas the spec is for dry threads.)

Saint J VT: I understand you subscribed to ALLDATA recently. (Tricky Brake Light/Horn/Fan Issues) Does the ALLDATA information for your 2005 show the black gasket torque setting? (Or, perhaps it isn't updated yet.)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #29 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback PZEV
Send a message via Yahoo to priyadar

Quote:
I changed the differential fluids, using the "new" spec for the black gasket. I kept the used copper one as a reference. (As usual, I torqued to somewhat less because the threads are "wet" whereas the spec is for dry threads.)

I have a couple of questions for you, Plain OM.

(1) What is the tightening torque that you used on the differential drain plug with the black gasket 803926090?

(2) With this torque, do you notice any leaks?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Saint J VT: Does the ALLDATA information for your 2005 show the black gasket torque setting? (Or, perhaps it isn't updated yet.)
No, it only shows for aluminum and copper.
I realize the threads are "wet" but I used the ft-lbs for dry anyway. I had already tightened it as much as I dared to BEFORE I used the torque wrench. When I used the torque wrench, I might have moved it about 1/128" in distance (it turned just a hair more than I had it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: