Noobie question about door locks. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback, 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser, 1968 Ford Thunderbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Noobie question about door locks.

I've only had my 2000 Legacy Outback for a few weeks but I'm wondering if my locks are broken.

I'm used to using my key to unlock the door and on my Toyota if I unlock the drivers door, return to the upright position, then move to the unlock position again, it unlock all the doors. It doesn't do that on my Outback. Should it?

I have a remote and it works as expected, press unlock once and just the driver's door. Press it a second time and all doors unlock.

So here'e the questions. Should the key thing work like my Toyota or not? If it's a typical feature to this year of Outback, has anyone added one? And finally, I don't carry the stock remote because it's big. Can anyone recommend a smaller aftermarket remote?

Thanks for your help.
Shep
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaff View Post
I've only had my 2000 Legacy Outback for a few weeks but I'm wondering if my locks are broken.

I'm used to using my key to unlock the door and on my Toyota if I unlock the drivers door, return to the upright position, then move to the unlock position again, it unlock all the doors. It doesn't do that on my Outback. Should it?

I have a remote and it works as expected, press unlock once and just the driver's door. Press it a second time and all doors unlock.

So here'e the questions. Should the key thing work like my Toyota or not? If it's a typical feature to this year of Outback, has anyone added one? And finally, I don't carry the stock remote because it's big. Can anyone recommend a smaller aftermarket remote?

Thanks for your help.
Shep
I don't think my 2004 does that, either, but I know what you mean--my old Maxima did it. I don't ever use the key because unless I leave the car in valet mode it will trip the alarm unless I use the remote.

I believe the old remotes are no more if you try to order them and have been replaced with "teardrop style" remotes. I don't know if the footprint is actually any less, but I think the thinner shape is less annoying to carry around:

It programs fine to my 2004. Not sure about anything aftermarket. I haven't hunted around, but you might be able to get a key in the right keyway with a remote that will work built-in to the key. Lockmedic might be able to chime in a little bit there if he sees this.

I can definitely understand why you don't like carrying it around, though...I'm always trying to pare down my keys as much as possible since I'm stuck carrying a bunch of them for work.

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Your Outback is operating as it is designed to do.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback, 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser, 1968 Ford Thunderbird

Thanks guys and thanks for the info on the remotes.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: