2001 Outback AT front pinion bearing? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2001 Outback AT front pinion bearing?

I have been offered a very nice 2001 Outback that has a noise that's been diagnosed elsewhere on this forum as a bad front differential pinion bearing. I've had lots of other Subarus over the years and am familiar enough with them to accept the diagnosis. Question: Anybody know the flat-rate hours to replace the bearing? Does the transaxle need to be removed? I need an approximate cost of the repair to determine if I want to buy this Outback!

Thank you!
riverguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

swap the trans, much easier. if it's a 4 cylinder $500, if it's a 6 $1,000 for used transmissions. if it's still not a good deal based on those parts prices then they are asking too much for it.

yes the transmission needs to be removed to replace it. i gave a friend a good front diff to rebuild his blown one and the fresh rebuild blew not long after. i would proceed very cautiously rebuilding a front diff.

if you're still up for separating the trans to try to repair the front diff then go to USMB (maybe some others too - like NASIOC) - they have some folks with some decent info and pictures who have taking these apart before. they don't post often so don't expect a reply but you can find their old threads detailing the trans guts.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

The only difference for a H6 trans is the gearing, I thought... 2x the price just because of relative supply?
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: